Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice on video card upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 9, 2011 2:30:52 PM

Hi folks. Looking for some help on upgrading my video card. I've had my current rig since about the beginning of 2008 and it has served me well (with some issues of course) but given the recent stuttering I am getting in BFBC2 I think its time to upgrade my video card. I also want to make sure I have a video card that will be able to run BF3 well when it comes out. Would love advice on what I should be looking at. My budget is anywhere from $150 to about $250. Read about the 560 ti and possibly 550 ti's in SLI but would love some feedback. Thanks.

Current setup:
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
4 GB of G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Thanks for any insight or advice you can provide.

EoB
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 2:38:23 PM

Right well your system is looking quite long in the tooth. You're still on DDR2 memory and running a dual core processor, so it's no wonder you're getting stuttering.

Getting anything above something like a 550Ti will be seriously held back by the rest of your system. In my opinion you should save up a bundle of cash and do a complete platform upgrade (CPU, motherboard, RAM) plus your GPU upgrade (you can obviously keep HDD and whatever else).
m
0
l
June 9, 2011 5:39:34 PM

Hmmm, was afraid of that. If I could scrape together the cash, what would be the best bang-for-my-buck CPU to anchor the upgraded system to?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 9, 2011 5:48:54 PM

I think there may be some life left in that core 2 if you are willing to do a bit of over clocking. It will get you by until you have enough money to build a decent system.

Bulldozer is coming out soon, which will drive the sandy bridge stuff down for sure.
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 11:40:46 PM

Okay, so I bumped up my speed from the 2.6 to 3.0 using my MB's tune software and it smoothed things out for the time being. So, I guess my question now is, since I can't afford a full upgrade yet (but will start saving for one) does it make sense to:

1) purchase something like a 560 ti now and pair it with my OC'ed CPU to give me a performance boost until I can get the rest of the pieces, or
2) hold off on everything for now to wait for Bulldozer to drop, then purchase CPU, MB, power supply and a video card then (assuming the video card's price will drop as well)?

Guess I'm just trying to determine if purchasing the video card now will help with my OC'ed CPU or if the difference will be so minor I should wait for all prices to drop and purchase all as one.

Thanks,

EoB
m
0
l
!