Sign in with
Your question

GTX 570 vs ATI 6970 (dual monitors)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2011 2:43:23 PM

Hello guys,

Basically I am trying to decide between these two graphics cards. I will be using two 1080p monitors, one will be for gaming and the other for general things (I will not be playing a game over two monitors). I will also have my TV connected as an external display device to watch movies. This will mean I can switch to the TV and the other two monitors will turn off.

With this in mind, which would you guys say will be the better choice?

Any help is greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 2:46:07 PM

If you're only using one of the monitors for gaming at 1080p, then the cards are neck and neck. If you were using both monitors for gaming, i'd have advised the 6970 due to the higher memory amount being more favourable for the increased screen resolution.

At this point, i'd put it down to price / the connectors included on the card.
June 9, 2011 2:51:04 PM

Hello, thanks for the response. So it would probably be better for the future if I ever do want to use both monitors for gaming?
Related resources
June 9, 2011 3:00:55 PM

For higher resolution and multi-monitor, always go for the higher Vram, and of course AMD HD Radeons, in this area Nvidia has nothing to look for here.
June 9, 2011 3:24:21 PM

Hi thanks for the response. That makes sense, guess it will be better to stick with the ATI then as it will be more future proof as well. One other question would you say it is worth the extra ~£30 for a 6970 as oppose to the 6950?

Thanks.
June 9, 2011 3:41:52 PM

I personally don't, but that's just me. I realized that my spending limit for a GPU would be $250. After that for my uses mostly gaming, it is not worth it, since there would only be increase in FPS at a point where make no difference in the experience. However, I would consider Crossfire after a year or so.
a c 595 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 9, 2011 4:34:54 PM

The important thing to note about these diagrams is to point out that it really depends on what games you play. There are clearly games where the GTX 570 is a significantly better choice, even at high resolutions, and others where the 6970 takes the lead.

(Click on the chart for a larger version. Negative bars to the left of center favor the GTX 570. Positive red bars to the right of center favor the 6970.)

The power consumption is very close:

The GTX 570 has a quieter noise profile, a more effective cooler, and lower operating temperatures:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/radeo...
June 9, 2011 4:37:28 PM

Yes, but everyone knows that AMD is much better for multi-monitor set-ups, and that more Vram is better for higher resolutions.
June 9, 2011 4:42:36 PM

Thanks for the response, thats just made it harder again to make a decision! I really don't know what to do :( 
a c 595 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 10, 2011 3:21:48 AM

wildest_jjk said:
Thanks for the response, thats just made it harder again to make a decision! I really don't know what to do :( 

It's actually really easy. Decide which games you plan to play, then pick the card that performs best in those games. If you play any games that feature PhysX, then that may be a deciding factor as well.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/radeo...

You can check out reviews from other websites as well for other benchmarks, but I like how these charts show side by side the game to game differences. It's just a matter of fine-tuning your preference to match the games you want to play.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2011 10:38:14 AM

cronos177 said:
For higher resolution and multi-monitor, always go for the higher Vram, and of course AMD HD Radeons, in this area Nvidia has nothing to look for here.

I agree but only specifically to gaming. Higher VRAM when doing dual monitor in a desktop situation will make no difference at all. The OP said they were only gaming on one monitor, just putting the 570 and 6970 on an even keel since the 6970's only real edge has been taken from it. If the OP was dual monitor gaming, i'd have said the 6970 hands down.

That's why I said it's down to best price and the connectors given on the card.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2011 10:40:19 AM

wildest_jjk said:

Like i said in my original reply to you. Since you're only gaming on ONE monitor, while doing everything else on two monitors, then it literally is down to the best price. Both the 6970 and 570 will serve to very well for what you want to do. Whatever you can get cheapest will be what you should get.
June 10, 2011 12:44:29 PM

Yes agree, they are both high end card, neither one will disappoint you , and will deliver what is expected from a +$300 card, but if you are planning to get a third monitor then AMD is better.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2011 1:06:44 PM

Aside from the prospect of higher VRAM for triple monitor gaming, why?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 17, 2011 4:24:20 PM

Hi, sorry for starting the thread up again but i could really use some help, I have the 6970 however I cant get two monitors to work on it, it doesn't seem to matter what I do only one will ever work at a time. I have all the latest drivers installed and have tried different ports and tried both the monitors on a different machine however they dont seem to work with my 6970, does anyone know why this might be?
!