Locating non-reflective screens

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2005 11:36:17 PM

Does anyone have any tips on how I can find out whether an advertised
notebook I has a (prefered) matt, non-reflective screen, or a shiny
screen - other than by actually physically going to a store, or by
phoning them and getting a *knowledgeable* person answering?

Is there a current list anywhere? (August 2005)

Do manufacturers have the screen type somehow encoded in the product
ID?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Miner2049er.
August 9, 2005 2:11:37 AM

google_groups@excite.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any tips on how I can find out whether an advertised
> notebook I has a (prefered) matt, non-reflective screen, or a shiny
> screen - other than by actually physically going to a store, or by
> phoning them and getting a *knowledgeable* person answering?
>
> Is there a current list anywhere? (August 2005)
>
> Do manufacturers have the screen type somehow encoded in the product
> ID?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Miner2049er.

I think you have to go to the store and look.
I did that experiment and discovered that the shiny surface screens
look better in the store than the matte ones. By the time you get it
home, or worse yet, try to use it for navigation in a car, it's too
late. Market forces will drive displays in that direction.

But shiny vs matte is not the whole story.

I have an AG Neovo flat panel monitor. The surface is NOT matte at all.
Appears perfectly clear. Doesn't pick up finger prints.
But they use some kick-ass filter that has VERY low reflections.
I'm amazed at how little it reflects without fuzzing out the image.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2005 5:34:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Though how can the display look better when most of the store is
reflected on the screen?

Advice from anybody else out there would be most appreciated.

Miner2049er.
!