P8Z77-V no POST, BIOS or signals

TBGAPowa

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
brand new. everything is plugged in, leds on, fans spinning but no BIOS and POST start up. it didn't come with a speaker so i don't think i could hear any beeps. the monitor, keyboard and mouse aren't getting signals

i am not sure if it was my imagination but i do think i heard ticking sounds and smelled a bit of smoke while installing the cpu and hsf with the mobo placed on the cardboard box cover that came with it. or it may just be the smell of new computer hardware.

the mobo led was on so i don't understand

i can’t trust any technical service with expensive parts, maybe if it was oem i wouldn’t care as much.

Solution
If the DRAM LED is on it means the memory failed to pass the BIOS 'test.' That can happen for a few reasons:
1. RAM is incompatible
2. RAM is damaged
3. RAM is in the wrong DIMM slots
4. RAM is improperly seated
5. Etc...

IF the ram is touching the HSF it could be shorted/grounded improperly.

In the breadboard IMO try the stock HSF and take it from there.
IF the CPU LED is on then first make certain you plugged-in both the 8-pin and 24-pin power. IF it's breadboard then do not have it laying on top of an Anti-Static bag! They're conductive.

IF the CPU LED stays 'on' AND you have extra TIM (Thermal Paste) I'd remove the CPU and start looking for bent --- hopefully not burnt --- CPU pins.

The LEDs are a good tell all without the 'beeps.'

Q - What PSU?
Q - What CPU?

TBGAPowa

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Intel Core i7 3770k

Corsair AX850

G. Skill Ares 1600 16GB (2x8)

Well the i7-3770K was supported @ first BIOS release. The AX850 - check both leads PSU and 8-pin (i.e. I'd re-seat both ends).

Now the Ares 8GB/stick, might cause a problem but you said specifically the CPU LED.

IF you have a HSF with a metal backplate i.e. aftermarket then once in a while they'll cause a short or grounding short. Therefore, anything metal must have some form of installation i.e. washers or simular insulation.

Sorry, I forgot to ask, what HSF?

TBGAPowa

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Noctua NH-D14

TBGAPowa

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
MemOK! led lights up red, what does that mean?

i cant see the cpu led because the hsf covers it, boot device led i believe was green and the flbk led wasn't on.

If the DRAM LED is on it means the memory failed to pass the BIOS 'test.' That can happen for a few reasons:
1. RAM is incompatible
2. RAM is damaged
3. RAM is in the wrong DIMM slots
4. RAM is improperly seated
5. Etc...

IF the ram is touching the HSF it could be shorted/grounded improperly.

In the breadboard IMO try the stock HSF and take it from there.

Solution

TBGAPowa

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

SOLVED- i tested the RAM one at a time both were ok, then tried both (properly reseating them this time, doh!) and the red DRAM led turned off the POST splashed on screen and the keyboard, mouse and monitor got their signals. without you jaquith i wouldn't have had a clue on what to do, thank you for being so patient and responsive. and a thank you to everyone else that participated on this matter of mine

Ecstasy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Yes! It worked! I didnt have my ram in properly, you must push it in until it clicks itself into place. I dont know if its like this with all motherboards, but that was my problem. Thanks!!!!