Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are these specs compatible with the GTX 460?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2011 4:50:16 PM

Hello,
I was wondering how good the GTX 460 is for a gaming computer that can play about high-max setting at a decent resolution? I want to upgrade from my current one and I was also wondering if my cpu will bottleneck. If it does, how hard will it be to overclock? Also, how many watts of power would you recommended? Right now I have about 350 but I might have to upgrade to 5-650 or so.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Memory: 6142MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS
Motherboard: Asus IPIBL-LB (Benicia)

The new card I want: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Also, I don't want to spend so much on new components. Any help or recommendations are appreciated. Thank you

More about : specs compatible gtx 460

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
June 9, 2011 5:06:54 PM

You defiantly need a new PSU for a start, a decent brand like Corsair would be best, there are others and if you want suggestions we can do that.
The CPU over clocking will depend on your PC, Dell HP etc usually have a custom Motherboard and Over clocking isn't usually supported.
You will get a restriction with your CPU at stock, thats to say a faster CPU will give you more FPS BUT. the difference will be night and day performance wise going from a 9500 to a 460 even allowing for the CPU holding you back slightly.

Whats a decent resolution exactly ? I think 1920 x 1080 is a decent resolution and anything lower is horrible. We need to know what res you are talking about, especially as the 460 comes in two different specs with one being cheaper and suited to lower resolutions while the better one obviously more suited for higher resolutions.

Mactronix :) 
June 9, 2011 5:24:12 PM

mactronix said:
You defiantly need a new PSU for a start, a decent brand like Corsair would be best, there are others and if you want suggestions we can do that.
The CPU over clocking will depend on your PC, Dell HP etc usually have a custom Motherboard and Over clocking isn't usually supported.
You will get a restriction with your CPU at stock, thats to say a faster CPU will give you more FPS BUT. the difference will be night and day performance wise going from a 9500 to a 460 even allowing for the CPU holding you back slightly.

Whats a decent resolution exactly ? I think 1920 x 1080 is a decent resolution and anything lower is horrible. We need to know what res you are talking about, especially as the 460 comes in two different specs with one being cheaper and suited to lower resolutions while the better one obviously more suited for higher resolutions.

Mactronix :) 

Hey, thanks a ton for the response. Yeah, my current monitor is 1900x1200, but I don't think I'll use it for gaming. I have another nice monitor that is 1680x1050, so I'll use that one. I have an HP computer. If I were getting a new computer today, I would build my own. But financially, that is not a possibility. What I'm thinking I'll do right now is slowly upgrade my pc, starting with the graphics card and power supply. This should get me to about $170. And then, once I get enough cash, I would really like a new cpu. So for now, it would be great if I could get some recommendations for a new psu and how many watts I will need. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 10, 2011 2:56:23 AM

the cpu you have is ok and could easily be OC'd to 3ghz. New PSU may be in order though, you havnt mentioned what PSU you currently have. A good quality 500w unit will run that setup well
m
l
June 17, 2011 12:37:25 AM

Best answer selected by bunnyslayr.
m
l
!