Sign in with
Your question

Board quit, looking for socket 478 Pent IV replacement or repair

Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2012 2:57:28 PM

Hello,

Tried to post this yesterday, can't find it - ?

anyway, older ASUS P4C800-E board finally went south. ATX. Uses Pent IV socket 478, RAM is DDR 400 PC 3200, would prefer to avoid having to replace CPU and RAM.

Would appreciate leads to good source for good used or reliably refurbished similar replacement, or for a setup that somebody wants to get rid of.

Thanks!
August 11, 2012 2:59:02 PM

Hello,

anyway, older ASUS P4C800-E board finally went south. ATX. Uses Pent IV socket 478, RAM is DDR 400 PC 3200, would prefer to avoid having to replace CPU and RAM.

Would appreciate leads to good source for good used or reliably refurbished similar replacement, or for a setup that somebody wants to get rid of.

Thanks!
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:08:55 PM

I am sure you can find an old board that supports a Pentium 4, but I think it would be more expensive to find one than to get a new board/CPU/RAM. You could look for a pentium G setup which would be very cheap.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 173 V Motherboard
August 11, 2012 3:09:21 PM

Socket 478 has been out of production for about 8 years now. You will have a hard time finding replacement parts that will be reliable. It is time to get a new computer
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2012 3:11:14 PM

macxx1 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

I know you want to avoid replacement if possible. But I must warn you, that unless the repairs on the board are simple (like a capacitor swap), the costs of diagnosis and repairs on that board will be more than the cost of a new board.

In addition, usually when an old board fails, more than 1 component is about to go bad even if you replace the original component on board that already failed. Cascaded failures are common since on the motherboard, as an example: a blown capacitor usually shorts and puts extra load on the regulators for a prolonged period of time, and this in turn, shortens the lifespan of the regulator IC.

I have done a few board repairs, and quite a lot of them died within months of the previous repair, and it wasn't obvious from a diagnosis point of view what was the component that died eventually (a lot of surface mount ICs to check, labour intensive).

Are you on a very tight budget ?
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:23:36 PM

I would want to get rid of my P4 3.4ghz w/ HT setup socket 775 nvidia 4 sli mobo. But shipping is way too expensive for a 47 pound computer.
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2012 4:05:48 PM

macxx1 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

on Ebay:
Asus P4P800-X Socket 478 Motherboard- 865 Intel

there are other options around the $10-$20 price range. i am sure you ought not spend anymore than that on old tech.
m
l
a c 321 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1284 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 3:58:31 AM

This next topics has been merged by Area51reopened
  • Board quit, looking for socket 478 Pent IV replacement or repair
    m
    l
    Anonymous
    a b Ĉ ASUS
    a b V Motherboard