"Most influential games" feature at 1up.com

Last response: in Video Games
January 10, 2005 12:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature, and
upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
might be interested:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
January 10, 2005 12:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube, alt.games.video.sony-playstation2, alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I guess ET would be reverse influential... what NOT to do... :^)

"Hey, I know! Let's make more games than we've sold systems! That's a
great idea!"

- Jordan
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:59:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

19. M.U.L.E.

<sniffle>

That is #1 in my gaming life

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
and
> upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
> back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
> might be interested:
>
> http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290

January 10, 2005 5:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature, and
> upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
> back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
> might be interested:
>
> http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290

E.T.? LMAO.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:35:07 PM

"menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o DwEd.8397$eb.1217@trndny01...

> "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
and
> > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
while
> > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
> > might be interested:
> >
> > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
> >

> E.T.? LMAO.

It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and a big
example of how not to count your chickens before they're hatched, as well as
a great "how not to make a game".
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:35:08 PM

Leon Dexter wrote:

> It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and
> a big example of how not to count your chickens before they're
> hatched, as well as a great "how not to make a game".

Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
(http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time favorite
games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
influences.

For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
face:

http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid

-Z-
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:14:02 PM

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message news:H4udnVlmZrIgO3_cRVn-rw@giganews.com...
> Leon Dexter wrote:
>
> > It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and
> > a big example of how not to count your chickens before they're
> > hatched, as well as a great "how not to make a game".
>
> Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
> feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
> (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time favorite
> games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
> story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
> influences.
>
> For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
> face:
>
> http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid

Wow, the memories.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:14:03 PM

> "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
>> Leon Dexter wrote:
>>
>> > It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and
>> > a big example of how not to count your chickens before they're
>> > hatched, as well as a great "how not to make a game".
>>
>> Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
>> feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
>> (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time
>> favorite
>> games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
>> story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
>> influences.
>>
>> For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
>> face:
>>
>> http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid
>
> Wow, the memories.

Ditto. Used to play that game to death in college.
On the Vic 20 I think, then on the Nintendo.

Anyone know of a compliation disk or anything for the Xbox
that has MULE on it?

Any one remember what M.U.L.E. stood foor?

Read lower for answer
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Multi-Use Labor Element

I think that is what it was its been so long.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:15:20 PM

> "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o DwEd.8397$eb.1217@trndny01...
> >
> > "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
> and
> > > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
> while
> > > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
> > > might be interested:
> > >
> > > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
> > >

> > E.T.? LMAO.
>
> It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and a big
> example of how not to count your chickens before they're hatched, as well as
> a great "how not to make a game".

Or how to fill up a landfill.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:32:11 AM

"John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com> wrote in message news:10u5ojf1follg22@news.supernews.com...

> "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

> >> Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
> >> feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
> >> (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time
> >> favorite
> >> games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
> >> story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
> >> influences.
> >>
> >> For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
> >> face:
> >>
> >> http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid
> >
> > Wow, the memories.
> >

> Ditto. Used to play that game to death in college.
> On the Vic 20 I think, then on the Nintendo.

They had that on Nintendo??? eBay, here I come!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:21:22 AM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I guess ET would be reverse influential... what NOT to do... :^)
>
> "Hey, I know! Let's make more games than we've sold systems! That's a
> great idea!"

That's influential. Nothing reverse about it. You NEED examples of what not
to do. Otherwise you end up /creating/ those examples eventually...

They could have gotten away with it, if they'd let the man have more than
two months to make the bloody game :)  They would've sold every damned copy
if it had been a good game.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:46:54 PM

Leon Dexter wrote:
> 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games"
feature, and
> upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
while
> back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought
you
> might be interested:
>
> http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
One of my all time favorites Jet Grind Radio at #48? Interesting.
January 11, 2005 9:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
anyway.

- Jordan
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:17:08 PM

Jordan wrote:
> They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
> imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
> to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
> derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
> anyway.

You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
goes on and on.
January 12, 2005 1:17:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
> and
> upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
> back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
> might be interested:
>
> http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290

Goddamnit, I hate lists that begin at 1 and go to the bottom. Why in the
HELL wouldn't you want to build up a bit of suspense for the reader by
listing them in the reverse order? MORONS!!!
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:19:32 AM

"Dan" <keywesterner@insightbb.com> wrote in message

> "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
> > and
> > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
while
> > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
> > might be interested:
> >
> > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
> >
> Goddamnit, I hate lists that begin at 1 and go to the bottom. Why in the
> HELL wouldn't you want to build up a bit of suspense for the reader by
> listing them in the reverse order? MORONS!!!

They're not in order by most influential. They're in chronological order.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:32:36 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Robert P Holley <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

> One of my all time favorites Jet Grind Radio at #48? Interesting.

I'm still a bit confused by that one... Good game, certainly (though I
didn't care for it that much) but influential? I don't quite see it.
Yeah, I know they credit the game with being a pioneer in the whole
cel-shading look, but frankly, I never did care very much for that style
myself. Makes the game's graphics look muddled to me. I also didn't care
for the fact that you were (literally) stuck on rails on how to get from
point A to point B, compared to Tony Hawk where you could pull a trick off
of anything. Literally.

It's almost as if the two games illustrate the classic difference between
PC (American) RPGs and Console (Japanese) RPGs with "open ended" vs. "on
rails". ;)

I was also confused by their entry for "Macintosh". "Macintosh" isn't a
game, and I really don't see how the Macintosh influenced gaming all that
much. Sure, there were early games that used the mouse - like Dark Castle
(though they didn't mention Crystal Quest!) but unless you want to say
these games were the early pre-cursor to the keyboard+mouse control
schemes every PC-FPS fan uses today, I really don't see it. They mention
SCUMM (Lucas Arts' adventure game engine) as being a spinoff of the
Macintosh, but I seem to recall using the cursor keys to manipulate
earlier adventure games - including King's Quest(?) which predated the
assumed inclusion of a mouse...
January 12, 2005 6:38:04 PM

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Jordan wrote:
> > They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so
many
> > imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even
applies
> > to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own
admission,
> > derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
> > anyway.
>
> You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
> Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
> goes on and on.

The key word is "significant"... Space War was the basis for Asteroids
for crying out loud... There are plenty of GTA III knock-offs but
almost all of them vanished with nary a ripple.

- Jordan
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:00:38 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> Jordan wrote:
> > They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
> > imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
> > to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
> > derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
> > anyway.
>
> You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
> Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
> goes on and on.

hell, dont forget Mechassault 2 and Halo 2..... where do you think that
vehicle jacking was popularized? :-)

Wurm
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:01:56 PM

"Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:cs6d06$9bt$1@dns3.cae.ca...

> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Jordan wrote:
>> > They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
>> > imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
>> > to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
>> > derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
>> > anyway.
>>
>> You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
>> Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
>> goes on and on.
>>

> hell, dont forget Mechassault 2 and Halo 2..... where do you think that
> vehicle jacking was popularized? :-)

GTA.

> Wurm

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 10:51:13 AM

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:cs6d06$9bt$1@dns3.cae.ca...
> >
> > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> >> You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
> >> Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
> >> goes on and on.
> >>

> > hell, dont forget Mechassault 2 and Halo 2..... where do you think that
> > vehicle jacking was popularized? :-)
>

> GTA.

ok fine, but GTA3 finally did it right. Im pretty sure they werent thinking
of the old-skool GTA when they added in those features.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:33:40 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:15:57 -0500, "John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Any one remember what M.U.L.E. stood foor?

I thought it was Mechanical Universal Land Engineer.

-Z
--
Prince Zordar of The Comet Empire
http://www.comet-empire.com

The difference between galactic dictators and boys
is the size and firepower of their toys...

If you wish a private audience with His Majesty, you have to get past the SHIELD...
!