"Most influential games" feature at 1up.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature, and
upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
might be interested:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
21 answers Last reply
More about most influential games feature
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube, alt.games.video.sony-playstation2, alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    I guess ET would be reverse influential... what NOT to do... :^)

    "Hey, I know! Let's make more games than we've sold systems! That's a
    great idea!"

    - Jordan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    19. M.U.L.E.

    <sniffle>

    That is #1 in my gaming life

    "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
    and
    > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
    > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
    > might be interested:
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature, and
    > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
    > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
    > might be interested:
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290

    E.T.? LMAO.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
    and
    > > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
    while
    > > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
    > > might be interested:
    > >
    > > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
    > >

    > E.T.? LMAO.

    It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and a big
    example of how not to count your chickens before they're hatched, as well as
    a great "how not to make a game".
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Leon Dexter wrote:

    > It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and
    > a big example of how not to count your chickens before they're
    > hatched, as well as a great "how not to make a game".

    Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
    feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
    (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time favorite
    games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
    story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
    influences.

    For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
    face:

    http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid

    -Z-
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message news:H4udnVlmZrIgO3_cRVn-rw@giganews.com...
    > Leon Dexter wrote:
    >
    > > It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and
    > > a big example of how not to count your chickens before they're
    > > hatched, as well as a great "how not to make a game".
    >
    > Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
    > feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
    > (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time favorite
    > games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
    > story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
    > influences.
    >
    > For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
    > face:
    >
    > http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid

    Wow, the memories.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    >> Leon Dexter wrote:
    >>
    >> > It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and
    >> > a big example of how not to count your chickens before they're
    >> > hatched, as well as a great "how not to make a game".
    >>
    >> Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
    >> feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
    >> (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time
    >> favorite
    >> games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
    >> story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
    >> influences.
    >>
    >> For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
    >> face:
    >>
    >> http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid
    >
    > Wow, the memories.

    Ditto. Used to play that game to death in college.
    On the Vic 20 I think, then on the Nintendo.

    Anyone know of a compliation disk or anything for the Xbox
    that has MULE on it?

    Any one remember what M.U.L.E. stood foor?

    Read lower for answer
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Multi-Use Labor Element

    I think that is what it was its been so long.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
    > and
    > > > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
    > while
    > > > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
    > > > might be interested:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
    > > >

    > > E.T.? LMAO.
    >
    > It WAS influential--it was the first shitty movie licensed game, and a big
    > example of how not to count your chickens before they're hatched, as well as
    > a great "how not to make a game".

    Or how to fill up a landfill.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com> wrote in message news:10u5ojf1follg22@news.supernews.com...

    > "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

    > >> Thanks for the link Leon. They did a hell of a lot of work on this
    > >> feature -- it's a treasure trove of information. M.U.L.E.
    > >> (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133886) is one of my all-time
    > >> favorite
    > >> games, but not only did I not know it sold so poorly, I didn't know the
    > >> story about its creator or the other designers that cited it as their
    > >> influences.
    > >>
    > >> For any diehard M.U.L.E.-heads out there, this should put a smile on your
    > >> face:
    > >>
    > >> http://digitalpress.5u.com/dpsoundz/mid/mule.mid
    > >
    > > Wow, the memories.
    > >

    > Ditto. Used to play that game to death in college.
    > On the Vic 20 I think, then on the Nintendo.

    They had that on Nintendo??? eBay, here I come!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I guess ET would be reverse influential... what NOT to do... :^)
    >
    > "Hey, I know! Let's make more games than we've sold systems! That's a
    > great idea!"

    That's influential. Nothing reverse about it. You NEED examples of what not
    to do. Otherwise you end up /creating/ those examples eventually...

    They could have gotten away with it, if they'd let the man have more than
    two months to make the bloody game :) They would've sold every damned copy
    if it had been a good game.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Leon Dexter wrote:
    > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games"
    feature, and
    > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
    while
    > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought
    you
    > might be interested:
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
    One of my all time favorites Jet Grind Radio at #48? Interesting.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
    imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
    to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
    derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
    anyway.

    - Jordan
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Jordan wrote:
    > They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
    > imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
    > to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
    > derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
    > anyway.

    You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
    Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
    goes on and on.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
    > and
    > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a while
    > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
    > might be interested:
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290

    Goddamnit, I hate lists that begin at 1 and go to the bottom. Why in the
    HELL wouldn't you want to build up a bit of suspense for the reader by
    listing them in the reverse order? MORONS!!!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Dan" <keywesterner@insightbb.com> wrote in message

    > "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > 1Up.com has almost completed their "50 most influential games" feature,
    > > and
    > > upon stumbling across it, it reminded me of a thread on that topic a
    while
    > > back. So here, for those who participated in that thread, I thought you
    > > might be interested:
    > >
    > > http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290
    > >
    > Goddamnit, I hate lists that begin at 1 and go to the bottom. Why in the
    > HELL wouldn't you want to build up a bit of suspense for the reader by
    > listing them in the reverse order? MORONS!!!

    They're not in order by most influential. They're in chronological order.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Robert P Holley <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

    > One of my all time favorites Jet Grind Radio at #48? Interesting.

    I'm still a bit confused by that one... Good game, certainly (though I
    didn't care for it that much) but influential? I don't quite see it.
    Yeah, I know they credit the game with being a pioneer in the whole
    cel-shading look, but frankly, I never did care very much for that style
    myself. Makes the game's graphics look muddled to me. I also didn't care
    for the fact that you were (literally) stuck on rails on how to get from
    point A to point B, compared to Tony Hawk where you could pull a trick off
    of anything. Literally.

    It's almost as if the two games illustrate the classic difference between
    PC (American) RPGs and Console (Japanese) RPGs with "open ended" vs. "on
    rails". ;)

    I was also confused by their entry for "Macintosh". "Macintosh" isn't a
    game, and I really don't see how the Macintosh influenced gaming all that
    much. Sure, there were early games that used the mouse - like Dark Castle
    (though they didn't mention Crystal Quest!) but unless you want to say
    these games were the early pre-cursor to the keyboard+mouse control
    schemes every PC-FPS fan uses today, I really don't see it. They mention
    SCUMM (Lucas Arts' adventure game engine) as being a spinoff of the
    Macintosh, but I seem to recall using the cursor keys to manipulate
    earlier adventure games - including King's Quest(?) which predated the
    assumed inclusion of a mouse...
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Robert P Holley wrote:
    > Jordan wrote:
    > > They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so
    many
    > > imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even
    applies
    > > to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own
    admission,
    > > derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
    > > anyway.
    >
    > You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
    > Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
    > goes on and on.

    The key word is "significant"... Space War was the basis for Asteroids
    for crying out loud... There are plenty of GTA III knock-offs but
    almost all of them vanished with nary a ripple.

    - Jordan
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > Jordan wrote:
    > > They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
    > > imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
    > > to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
    > > derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
    > > anyway.
    >
    > You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
    > Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
    > goes on and on.

    hell, dont forget Mechassault 2 and Halo 2..... where do you think that
    vehicle jacking was popularized? :-)

    Wurm
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:cs6d06$9bt$1@dns3.cae.ca...

    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Jordan wrote:
    >> > They could be from most influential as well... Space War had so many
    >> > imitators and games draw upon the "engine" (if that term even applies
    >> > to Space War) that it was amazing. GTAIII is, by it's own admission,
    >> > derivative and hasn't produced any significant knock-offs. Not yet
    >> > anyway.
    >>
    >> You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
    >> Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
    >> goes on and on.
    >>

    > hell, dont forget Mechassault 2 and Halo 2..... where do you think that
    > vehicle jacking was popularized? :-)

    GTA.

    > Wurm

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:cs6d06$9bt$1@dns3.cae.ca...
    > >
    > > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > >> You're kidding right? The Getaway, Mafia, Jak II, Driv3r, THUG, True
    > >> Crime: Streets of LA, Simpsons Hit and Run, NFS:UG2, etc. The list
    > >> goes on and on.
    > >>

    > > hell, dont forget Mechassault 2 and Halo 2..... where do you think that
    > > vehicle jacking was popularized? :-)
    >

    > GTA.

    ok fine, but GTA3 finally did it right. Im pretty sure they werent thinking
    of the old-skool GTA when they added in those features.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:15:57 -0500, "John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Any one remember what M.U.L.E. stood foor?

    I thought it was Mechanical Universal Land Engineer.

    -Z
    --
    Prince Zordar of The Comet Empire
    http://www.comet-empire.com

    The difference between galactic dictators and boys
    is the size and firepower of their toys...

    If you wish a private audience with His Majesty, you have to get past the SHIELD...

Console Gaming Games Video Video Games