Sign in with
Your question

How to start Internet hosting service

Last response: in Networking
October 6, 2010 2:04:42 PM

Not sure where to put this in the forum so I figure Networking would be a good place.

I've been trying to search online on how to start a Internet hosting service so that i can put my websites all on my own server and host.

I can't seem to find much info on how to get this setup, just explanations on what Hosting actually is.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks all!

October 7, 2010 8:35:12 PM

integraoligist said:
Not sure where to put this in the forum so I figure Networking would be a good place.

I've been trying to search online on how to start a Internet hosting service so that i can put my websites all on my own server and host.

I can't seem to find much info on how to get this setup, just explanations on what Hosting actually is.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks all!

It's actually pretty easy.
You're gonna need a static IP address. You don't need one, but it makes it easier. You can always use open DNS.

Once you get an IP address, you can get a domain name register and have it pointed at your IP address.

If you're using a firewall, you need to have a web server (IIS or Apache) in your dmz to host your web pages.

I would recommend using a Linux based OS and Apache web server, but if you're running ASP DOT NET, then you'll have to use Windows and IIS.

If you currently have a dynamic IP address from your ISP, chances are they have ports blocked that you might need like port 25 for email.

At home, I just use open dns. I don't get a lot of traffic so once a week I just check to make sure that my ip address hasn't changed. If it does, then I just go to open dns and update it. There are routers that will do it for you automatically too.

If you're getting a lot of traffic, then you'll definitely want to buy a static IP address from you ISP. You'll get more bandwidth and have a lot more port options. Also, if your ISP suspects you running some kind of high bandwidth site from your home, they'll probably shut you down too.
October 7, 2010 10:01:02 PM

Techincally what you want to do is not Internet Hosting, that is when someone pays you to host a web site for them. You just want to be able to run a server of your own without needing to host it elsewhere.

As Masterasia kinda said towards the end of his post, you may need to get an upgraded service from your ISP to run a server. Almost all have a clause in the contract that states you can't run a server on a regular consumer account, but if you get a business plan you should be able to do so with no issues.
April 2, 2014 8:13:40 AM

In addition to the above stated, depending on how much traffic you plan on getting, be sure you have enough available upload bandwidth or you may saturate your connection.
!