Direct X 11 AGP Card?

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Is there going to be an AGP Direct X 11 graphics card? The question has probably been asked tons of times, but what the hell. The thing is, if HIS are mad enough to make a PCI HD5450 (that is the old PCI, not PCI Express), there must be a market for an AGP card supporting direct X11?

intrigue

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X DirectX 10.1

The naysayers are PCIe users who feel their endless upgrades are at least worth trashing and flaming people who took care of their equipment and whose computers are still around and working well to ask for a small consideration of an AGP upgrade. What about all those people who still want an incandescent light bulb?

I wouldnt go as far as calling these threads trashing and flaming :)
I have seen some members be really rude on other threads regarding older equipment

That 4670 is the best card made for AGP

I reluctantly upgraded from my Dual Xeon P4 3.2 IDE/AGP for the reason
first PCIe and Sata is much cheaper than IDE/AGP parts
also I needed more performance than a HD 4670
so I bought a used Dell with LGA775 (COre2Duo 3.0ghz) and now have a HD 5670

with that said
even if they made a DX11 card for AGP it wouldnt be able to use the DX11 effects
I ran 3Dmark11 with my HD 5670
and the only way I could run maxed out DX11 would be at 800x600 resolution which
is ridiculous

so considering that if they did make a DX11 card
they wouldnt make it a higher end card that could really do DX11 anyway

the best bet is a HD 4670 if you dont want to upgrade now

intrigue

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I was merely pointing out the best AGP card right now, was just .9 away from 11, not that the math matters. I do not consider myself a hardware engineer but it is not a stretch of the imagination to envision an AGP card that is still evolving. You might say that the manufacturers are holding back the next version of that card from the market as a business strategy. You could inevitably as price points are falling have a stand alone computer with a few GB's of processor and memory are able to fit on a small corner of real estate on an expansion slot card. As far as the comments go there is no need to express negative comments about someone's point concerning their personal preference for equipment. Yes, I have seen people at other sites attacking someones comment, I just did not want to see the rudness descending to that here at Tom's.

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yes, the AGP standard is non-existent, however PCI is still in use; so that's why there was a PCI 5450. AMD stopped producing AGP cards after the 46xx series and nVidia stopped at the 6xxx series.

I sure hope you didnt think I was being negative
I truly appreciate somebody keeping older equipment working
The best way to be "Green" and recycle is to keep older computers
lasting longer instead of throwing them away
I refurbish older Pentium 4 computers either for resale and I also
donate them to people in need (laid off out of work and need to job hunt for example)

So more power to you
I was just commenting that even a relatively modern PCIE card like the HD 5670 isnt
capable of DX11 truly
I hate to say it but the AGP cards is a deadend tech wise
It would be nice for the companies to make a newer tech card AGP
but I dont see that happening
I will say that I had the PCIE HD 4650 and the AGP HD 4670 is stronger than that
You have to understand that a slot like AGP has only so much bandwith
even for example they made a HD 6950 in AGP it would get choked by the limitations
of the AGP slot
That is why they moved on to PCIe since it is a "more powerful" interface
I actually have a PCIe 1.1 slot and I am facing the fact that I cant use the more
powerful 2.1 PCIe cards

dyeager

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

1) I won't guarantee this actually exists (certainly not at retail yet - note you must order 100 at a time):

ATI Radeon HD5670 1G AGP 1G Video Card

Quick Details
Chipset Manufacturer: ATI Interface Type: AGP Video Memory Capacity: ≥ 1024MB
Video Memory Type: DDR2 Memory Interface: 128 Bit Output Interface Type: TV-OUT, VGA, DVI
Brand Name: OEM Place of Origin: Guangdong China (Mainland) RED: GREEN
Packaging & Delivery
Packaging Detail: 50PCS
Delivery Detail 10Days
Specifications

ATI Radeon HD5670 1G AGP 1G Video Card
Video Memory:1024MB
Interface Type: AGP
Memory Type: DDR2

ATI Radeon HD5670 1G AGP 1G Video Card:

Quality-warranty1year

ATI Radon Card Memory: 1024MB

ATI Radon Card Interface Type: AGP
Interface Speed: 8X
ATI Radon Graphic Card Memory Type: DDR2

ATI Radon Graphic Card Memory Interface: 128-bit
Core Clock: 880MHz
Memory Clock: 5500MHz
RAMDAC: 400 MHz
Stream Processors: 1536 Stream Processing Units
Connectors: Dual DVI; HDMI; 2x MIni-DisplayPort
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
Support ATI HD3D technology
Support ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology1
Support ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU technology
Support ATI PowerPlay power management technology3
Support Microsoft DirectX 11, Shader Model 5.0 and OpenGL 4.1
Support Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

DAJIN OEM VIDEO CARD

When I contacted them they did say the picture was wrong (its PCI-e) and they did not have any that I could test.

Note that the AGP hotfix driver lists the following devices in its inf file:

HD 5450, HD 5470, HD 5490
HD 5530, HD 5570
HD 5630, HD 5670, HD 5690
HD 5730

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Where the market would buy such a device is another question.

The HD 4650 was a mainstream video card when it was 1st released back in 2008. Compared to current generation cards, I would say it is a little faster than the Radeon HD 6450. That's the slowest Radeon HD 6xxx series card. More for playing back videos than it would be for playing games.

See following link for the Radeon's HD 6450's performance which I guess would be close to the HD 4650. Note that your performance will be lower since the testbed uses an Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition processor (3.33 GHz, 6.4 GT/s QPI). Also, the HD 4650 does not support Directx 11.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/radeon-hd6670-hd6570-hd6450_7.html

geauxtigrs

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Thanks. I totally realize that AGP is useless now but I would really rather not get a new computer right now. I would like to get another 3 to 4 years out of this one. I just want to be able to play the newer games. I just need something that is going to give me the best bang for my buck to play games like Black Ops. Any sugguestions would be greatly appreciated.

The best AGP card you can buy is the Radeon HD 4670. There is currently a $20 rebate so it brings the price down to $100.

In terms of performance it is about 30% slower than the HD 5670 and about 40% slower than the HD 6670. But it is the fastest AGP card that you can purchase new.

The HD 5670 / HD 6670 are considered as entry level gaming video card. Due to the performance of the HD 4670, it is considered to be a budget card right now.

geauxtigrs

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Got a few more questions. Where are you getting your info from as to which card is the best and when it came out? Also if I get the 4670, which you say is DX11 compatible, will it play games that come out using a DX12 or 13 in the future???

I never stated the HD 4670 was a DX11 card. In fact, I pointed out in a previous post within this thread that it is only a DX 10.1 card.

DX 10.1 is effectively dead with the release of DX11. DX12 is just rumors and I really doubt it will come out anytime soon. The HD 4670 is already a weak card compared to what is currently available. By the time DX12 comes out it might be possible that AMD will have an integrated graphics core that more powerful than the HD 4670. That's not too far off the mark since the Radeon HD 6620G graphics core in the Llano APUs are almost as powerful as a desktop HD 5570 video card.

There are no DX11 AGP cards in the market except the alleged HD 5670 from a Chinese manufacturer as mentioned above in this thread. If it is true, then you will need to order at least 100 of them since they are a manufacturer, not a retailer.

geauxtigrs

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
So if I buy the 4670 will it play games that use DX11? If not is there a software update that will allow me to play them? I don't want to buy a card that will be outdated in two months. I would like to get at least three to four years out of it.
I remember the good ole days when a new direct x came out you just installed it and that was it. You didn't need another video card.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Most (if not all) games that support DX11 also support DX10 (and DX10.1); which the HD4xxx series cards can use (and assuming you're running either Vista or Windows 7). For whatever games you're wanting to play, check the MINIMUM system requirements. If it lists Windows XP (only up to DX9.0c support) for an OS, you're safe. If it lists anything below an HD5xxx series card (up to DX10.x support), you're safe.

-Wolf sends

madtech01

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
your problem is that a HD 4670 is already outdated.
You will not be able to run DX11 games on it, it maxes out at DX10.1
if you want to run DX11 games you will have to upgrade to a dual core processor anyway, so I know you do not want to here this but I can say this AGP is dead.
To run modern games most require a dual core processor witch most dual core processor systems come with PCIe x16 or PCIe 2.0. witch all modern graphics cards require. except for the entry level PCI cards witch are only good for watching videos at best not modern gaming.
I know you want to extend the life of your system but it has served you well for this long, time to let it rest.
the cost of upgrading to a new computer is a lot lower than when your current system was built. and you could build an entry lvl gaming machine for around $600 to $700 with the new llamo APU processors from AMD with graphics on the same die as the processor.

I guess you want to be green but you could donate your old computer to a family member or someone else in need and get a decent locost gaming machine that will last you another 3-5 years.

Realize most computers have a life expectancy of 3 years, upgrades can take them a lttle farther but when it coes to gaming with modern games that just is not possible.

I didnt want to give up my old AGP/IDE machine either
but I had to face the fact it was too outdated to do what I needed it to do
plus the price of AGP and IDE parts are ridiculous compared to the newer parts