Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cheap microATX build

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2011 4:31:07 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: Around USD $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Home, surfing the internet, Microsoft Office (For an elder who does use computers)

Parts Not Required: Building from scratch

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Will buy locally

Country of Origin: Mexico

Parts Preferences: Explained in detail after this EDIT

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: YNo

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: None really, all should be explained down there...

Hey all! a while back I got some great advice in here for a system I was making for myself, now I'm making one for my grandfather and I thought it'd be worth checking with everyone. Since I live in Mexico, the prices and availability may be a bit different, but it shouldn't be a big problem for a cheap build.

I'm leaning towards the Asrock N68C-S UCC, because it seems to be great value for little money, also I'd like to make this a microATX build so my grandpa won't have trouble moving it around if he needs to.

Since it supports core unlocking technology, I was thinking on setting it up with an Athlon II X2 @3.0Ghzish, and setting the UCC function to enabled from day 1 (the X2 is bout USD $50 cheaper than it's X4 equivalent). I'm just wondering if that's a good idea or if I should go for the X4 (grandpa tends to keep TONS of stuff open and he expects the system to work nicely and fast).

Since the N68C-S UCC supports DDR3 and DDR2 I was thinking of dropping it 4Gb of value DDR2 RAM, either Kingston or Corsair (whichever I find cheapest).

I know he will most likely never use all the space, but since the 500Gb HDDs are fairly cheap I'll probably get one of those.

CD-R/DVD-R Combos are cheap as well, and he likes to burn CDs/DVDs for everything so I'm thinking of throwing in two of those.

The Case will most likely be a cheap Acteck with a 500W PSU, or a similar microATX case (I'd like to go with this second one, the problem with microATX cases is they only have one CD/DVD slot...).

As for the monitor, probably a 21" LCD.

To make it as wireless as it can get I'll get Genius wireless keyboard and mouse, and a PCI wireless internet card.

Am I missing anything? well I hope I can get some input on this. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
gundiesalvo

More about : cheap microatx build

Best solution

August 13, 2011 12:32:26 PM

Sounds ok, i would buy DDR3 RAM though if only because it's usually cheaper.
August 14, 2011 9:08:21 AM

^^^ I will second that.
August 21, 2011 12:08:28 AM

Best answer selected by gundiesalvo.
!