General/Conceptual RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxsharpie

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hey Guys!! :hello:

First, thanks for dropping by on this question!!

I'm in the process of building a new computer and am a complete novice and slightly confused about RAM

Is there any merit in getting 2x8 gb sticks vs 4x4 sticks of RAM besides being able to upgrade memory later?

I know there are Dual Memory Channels/Systems or something like that and maybe I also stumbled upon quad or it could me being delirious.

I will not being doing anything that requires that much ram, but I was wondering from a scholarly standpoint whether there is any worth in getting 2x8gb vs 4x4gb or vice-versa.

Thanks guys

PS I know a lot of you guys will say that 16gb maybe unnecessary but this is my first computer and I know it may be stupid, but I don't mind splurging slightly with it :p

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
As you already said 16GB is unnecessary most of the time.
The choice between 2x8 or 4x4 is mostly about whether your motherboard has dual channel or quad channel. Cost and future proofing are also factors although I tend to overlooked them.
I'm not sure if there are LGA1155 motherboards using quad channel but here's an example of a 2011 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131801

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.