PortVale

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can anyone recommend an internal PCI hardware modem? Price is not too much of an issue.
Also, by reading the specs on the box it is hard for me to tell if the modem is a winmodem or not.

G

I would suggest (yeah I know) an external modem. They are always "a hardware modem". External modems are the easiest to install, are supported by almost every operating system and give the best performance. You can also (if you machine has an ISA slot) get a ISA modem. Make sure it can be set to COM1, COM2, COM3 or COM4 by setting jumpers on the modem board. If it cannot chances are it is a "software modem".

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
an external usb modem is quite easy as well. I know that diamond makes one. I think it's called the supraexpress or something like that. Just plug it in stick in the cd and you're good to go.

G

3Com / U.S. Robotics are still the best modems out there in my book. After going though a bunch of cheap winmodems years ago and always having problems, I bought a USR and had no trouble at all. I have now used two USR ISA modems, and just ordered my 3rd PCI USR internal hardware modem. None have failed yet in over 5 years.

The current U.S. Robotics PCI Performance Pro is Model# 3CP5610A
I just got one for $70 from buycomp.com

G

Yup i totally agree with the others, external modems are the easiest but also the most expensive and they take up extra room on your desk. They are also easy in case your modem refuses to hang up, you just shut it off. Internal modems are a bit more difficult, and can be softmodems. You are right in not wanting a softmodem, they are nothing but trouble. I just bought an E-Tech Bullet modem, and it did say "hardware modem" somewhere on the box. It works just fine. If you can´t find that term anywhere on the box then it is probably a softmodem or the manufacturer didn´t bother to tell you, and he won´t sell you one.

G

If the minimal req. for the modem is about a 486 cpu, its a hardware modem. If it needs at least a pentium, more likely than not, its a winmodem.

G

I would have to say, from personal experience working as phone support tech for an ISP, that serves areas with the most messed up phone lines, go with the 3com/USR PCI. Seems to work great.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
3COM USR PCI and ISA HW modems are both great.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

If you look at most winmodem descriptions, i.e requirements, the will list a recommended processor speed, anywhere from 90 to 160 mhz and a list of OS's that it can be used with, Win95/'98/NT, but no DOS. Winmodems also come in ISA as well as PCI formats so be careful in making your selection. I have been using an USRobotics ISA 56k X2 V.90 hardware modem for over 3 years and it works great with Windows/Dos and for faxing and data transfers

:cool: TW

G

I really apologize,
my recommendation was incorrect.

The current U.S. Robotics PCI Performance Pro is Model# 3CP5610A
I just got one for $70 from buycomp.com
I have been using USR modems for some time now, having purchased 3 ISA Hardware modems and 3 PCI modems now. However, though the PCI model installs very easy in Windows 98, in NT it was a nightmare. Do NOT buy the USR PCI modem is you run Windows NT. Even though it says it is "controller based" and implies it is hardware, and says specifically that it supports Windows NT, it is a 50/50 shot, and calling tech support when their driver doesn't install via the default installer resulted in a conversation which revealed that they know little or nothing about how their install works in Windows NT. They didn't know what APIC was, how to have any control over which IRQ their modem installs on (in the bios, via software, etc.), and were totally unable to help. I went back to the US Robotics ISA modems, and they work great.

So I appologize for believing that a good company would always produce good products, and recommending somthing before I had tried it in all situations.

--never believe the pretty pictures on the box--