Dns issue-- (RESOLVED!!)

Xmariner69

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hello,
installed new modem/router combo from rogers. all pc's but one works fine. For some reason if I type in the ip address for website, it comes up, but the address won't work. So for some reason my laptop browsers internet explorer and firefox will only work if I type in the actual sites ip address
was on the phone with rogers client support and they couldn't figure it out.
Ive never ran across an issue like this before. I did everything I could think of to fix the issue, called an IT buddy, and he couldn't figure out the issue, and my isp's tech support couldn't figure it out either. I know that I'm connectiing as skype is online and like I said. For example if I type in the ip address for google I go to their site, but if I type in www.google.com I get an error message in my browser. Anybody have any ideas here, because I really don't want to format my laptop just because I upgraded my stupid modem. For the record, running win7 for os.
Thanks!

PROBLEM SOLVED
SEE MY LAST POST FOR SOLUTION

first check if the Network card is set to Automatically receive a DNS Server.

If so go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, what is the numeric code beside the word "DNS Servers" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1.

what happens when you type:

ping www.google.com

Type exit to close the black form.

Have you checked you laptop for Malware?

Xmariner69

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
update, fixed problem (no thanks to rogers tech support)
contacted SMC for product support. Had to go into control panel/network and internet/network and sharing center/ then choose change adapter settings to the left of window. Then once there I had to right click on local area connection setting and then went to properties of internet protocol ver 4 tcp/ipv4 and manually entered in items such as proper ip address, default gateway, also had to put in proper dns server values.
saved and it worked! Saying all of this, I think that if I had just chose obtain automatically it would have worked also, as I could tell that changing the modem/router messed up the proper settings that should have been there.
Anyway, problem resolved. Hopefully this might help anyone else with the same issue.