BSODs all the time

glifchits

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi everyone,

I built my new system about a month ago. Pretty much from day one I've been getting a ridiculous amount of blue screens.

The message that appears most frequently is "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Other messages include "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT", "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION", and "An uncorrectable hardware error has occurred."

The BSODs happen randomly, sometimes they occur shortly after the PC boots into Windows. Sometimes I've noticed that I'm browsing in Chrome, and the pages fail to display, instead showing "Aw, Snap!" message. I refresh them and it works but then the BSOD happens (this one is usually memory management).

I ran Memtest86+ a while back and a ton of tests failed on "L3 cache", but I've read (and hope) that its highly unlikely to be a processor fault.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k
Mobo: ASUS P9X79
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, 4x4GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 580
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (system drive)
PSU: Corsair TX750

Please help me out!

tilgare

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I'm working on a build for my mother-in-law and was having similar issues, with it near impossible to boot into the Windows 7 cd to install the OS in the first place. I finally started pulling and rearranging my 2x4GB RAM modules and found one that works, one that doesn't. I ran memtest86+ on both and I was seeing failures on the stick I had already identified as the issue. Ran the test again on the good one, no problem. Ran it on just the bad one, constant errors. In the latter two cases, I used the same DIMM slot.

I would suggest doing something similar. Any one of your sticks may be giving you issues. You may be able to easily identify the bad stick during the memtest. On my mobo, 1K-4087M was the stick closest to the CPU. See where the errors are hitting and pull that stick, then run the memtest again on the remaining 3. You shouldn't be getting ANY errors at all from memtest, and as far as I know, there is no repair or anything of the like that will fix the problem - but you JUST built the PC, so you should be able to RMA them no problem.