Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 super suprerclocked 768mb low fps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2011 8:18:50 PM

I've been receiving really low frame rates in games. I haven't minded that much, until I gave my brother my old graphic card. My brother has the same cpu and motherboard as me, but I have upgraded ram, gpu and power supply. My brother gets more fps than me in a game we both play. I have a 460 GTX 768mb superclocked, and he has a 9500 gt. I'm getting 20-28 fps on average, while my brother is getting 30-38. I've heard the term "bottle necked" computer, and I believe this is my problem. I noticed that while in this game, my gpu usage is usually 1-3%, which was monitored in EVGA precision. I think my CPU is what's causing the problem. Also, when I enable max AA in game, my fps goes down by 2-4 fps only. I always play on high details, and even when I went to the lowest resolution, my fps did not go up. Here are my specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD 9600 Quad Core (2.3ghz)
GTX 460 768mb super superclocked
asus m4n78 pro
6 gigs of ram
powersupply ocz 550watt
1920x1080 res in game and default

I think my CPU is too outdated for my gpu, but I'm not sure. I was looking at buying an AMD 1090T six core, but if it's my GPU that's the problem I might replace it...
Any help is greatly appreciated.
June 9, 2011 9:00:20 PM

The cpu is way too slow.

Lowering the resolution puts MORE load on the cpu. Raising the resolution put's more load on the gpu.

You would be better of with a faster clocked X4 than a slower clocked X6, for gaming. Make sure your mobo supports the cpu before you buy it. Likely you will need to at least update the bios BEFORE replacing the cpu.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 10, 2011 2:51:32 AM

^ +1, your cpu is really slow. I also agree, get a fast clocked phenom/athlon x4 if motherboard supports it.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2011 5:31:18 AM

At full HD, the CPU has very little role to play, but I agree that you're CPU bottlenecked. But the numbers should not be that low compared to a 9500 GT. I would first check if the card is running at proper PCI-E specs using GPU-Z.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 10, 2011 5:52:24 AM

What game did you notice the difference in? Some games need more CPU than others.
m
l
June 11, 2011 12:49:41 AM

bystander said:
What game did you notice the difference in? Some games need more CPU than others.

The game we're playing is Heroes of Newerth. I don't think the game's graphics are too high end, so maybe it puts more load on the CPU.

geekapproved said:
The cpu is way too slow.

Lowering the resolution puts MORE load on the cpu. Raising the resolution put's more load on the gpu.

You would be better of with a faster clocked X4 than a slower clocked X6, for gaming. Make sure your mobo supports the cpu before you buy it. Likely you will need to at least update the bios BEFORE replacing the cpu.

Would you recommend any quad core CPU's instead of the 1090T 6 core? I'm thinking of buying the 955Black Edition, but I'm not entirely sure how well it would work out... I have a bit more money to spend as well. I don't entirely understand how 4 cores would be better for gaming than 6, but you haven't been the first one to say this.

m
l
June 11, 2011 10:58:30 AM

Yes 955BE is the way to go.

Most games only use 2 cores. Some 3. Few 4. None 5/6.

Therefore a higher clocked 4 core is faster for gaming than a slower clocked 6 core.
m
l
June 11, 2011 2:41:13 PM

geekapproved said:
Yes 955BE is the way to go.

Most games only use 2 cores. Some 3. Few 4. None 5/6.

Therefore a higher clocked 4 core is faster for gaming than a slower clocked 6 core.

If I have the money to buy the 1090T instead of 955BE, should I? I've looked around and people say they can overclock both to 4ghz with no problem. I could also buy the 965BE, which is 3.4ghz default, so I could probably get it to 4.4ghz with no problem. I think the 965 BE would be the way to go, but if games are going to start to use 6 cores or if 6 cores are faster then I might go with that
m
l
June 12, 2011 2:16:23 AM

It will be a LONG time before any games start to realistically use more than four cores, and the x4's can get higher clock rates which is more important for gaming. Besides I'm not surr your motherboard can even support 6 core processors, it would probably at least require a bios update
m
l
June 13, 2011 1:57:53 AM

So what I've been getting from everyone is to buy a quad core processor that's faster than the one I have, but I'm still unsure as to why I'm getting lower framrates than my brother still. This GPU costed a lot more than the 9500, but my FPS is lower. My brother has the same processor as me, so shouldn't I be getting more fps? When I reformat my computer I install the Evga driver for my GTX 460, a sound driver from my motherboard's website, and that's it. Am I missing a necessary driver that I need to install?
m
l
June 13, 2011 11:39:19 PM

I run GTX460 with C2D E4500 2.2Ghz and im fine +50 FPs in most of games maxed or high :p 
You CPU will not bottle neck you GPU in all games but some of them !
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 14, 2011 3:18:25 AM

use driversweeper to remove all old drivers and download and install the latest nvidia driver from their website. that would be a good start.
m
l
June 14, 2011 4:56:32 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
use driversweeper to remove all old drivers and download and install the latest nvidia driver from their website. that would be a good start.

Thanks for your time and help, but this did not help. My frame rates are still below 30 in game. I uninstalled the driver, booted into safe mode, ran driver sweeper and deleted all of the nvidia files, then rebooted into normal mode, reinstalled the newest driver and restarted. I then checked my fps in game, and it's still the same as before... thanks for your help though
m
l
June 14, 2011 2:15:17 PM

rediscover said:
I already have drivers from here, thank you anyways.

in control panel power options is high performance option selected?
m
l
June 14, 2011 5:38:49 PM

celpas said:
in control panel power options is high performance option selected?

Yes, it is. I changed it from power saving mode.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 14, 2011 8:54:43 PM

You might want to look at GPU-Z and see what the bus interface says. Sometimes when a card isn't seated right, it'll operate at a lower bus speed and cripple it's performance.
m
l
June 14, 2011 11:30:38 PM

bystander said:
You might want to look at GPU-Z and see what the bus interface says. Sometimes when a card isn't seated right, it'll operate at a lower bus speed and cripple it's performance.

I took a screenshot of the values in the graphic card tab :

I also took a screenshot of the sensors tab without running the game and while running it, I'm not sure if it'll help, but I did it anyways :

Without the game :

While running the game :
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 15, 2011 12:07:02 AM

If that's while the game is running, then I'd guess the game is using an integrated card, rather than the discrete card. Does your system have an IGP?
m
l
June 15, 2011 1:16:52 AM

bystander said:
If that's while the game is running, then I'd guess the game is using an integrated card, rather than the discrete card. Does your system have an IGP?

I googled what IGP was, and I think my motherboard (Asus M4N78 Pro) uses a GeForce 8300 integrated into it.... or that's what I'm understanding from this forum thread : http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123583

If this is the case, is it possible to make the program use my graphic card instead of the one on my motherboard?

Also, on the Asus website of my motherboard, http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4N78_PRO/

It says that NVIDIA GeForce® GeForce 8300 offers the latest support of Hybrid SLI Technology, DirectX® 10 graphics features, HD video playback with HDMI/DVI output. It also supports HyperTransport™ 3.0 interface, PCI Express™ 2.0 bus architecture, Serial ATA 3 Gb/s devices and is optimized with AMD’s latest AM3/AM2+ and multi-core CPUs to provide excellent system performance. So this means that this graphic card is integrated in my motherboard?
m
l
June 15, 2011 1:54:47 AM

If the monitor cable is plugged into the graphic card then you are using the card for your graphics.

Yes you mobo has integrated graphics and th460 would completely beat the IGP

from the GPUz it doesnt look like your GPU core clock was high enough
fact is it doesnt really look like any major GPU usage at all
if you download MSI Afterburner you can use its on screen display to see GPU usage
while running 3D applications
m
l
June 15, 2011 2:52:15 AM

king smp said:
If the monitor cable is plugged into the graphic card then you are using the card for your graphics.

Yes you mobo has integrated graphics and th460 would completely beat the IGP

from the GPUz it doesnt look like your GPU core clock was high enough
fact is it doesnt really look like any major GPU usage at all
if you download MSI Afterburner you can use its on screen display to see GPU usage
while running 3D applications

I have EVGA Precision which does the same thing, but my results were similar.
I believe my problem has something to do with the Hybrid SLI feature with the integrated Geforce 8300, but I'm not sure. I went into BIOS and enabled the Hybrid SLI feature, and it seemed to help a bit, but hardly anything at all. Inside the BIOS I saw which VGA is selected first, and the one that was there by default was the PCI-E card. The other options were integrated VGA, and PCI card. Maybe the issue is my motherboard rather than my cpu...
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 15, 2011 3:04:44 AM

rediscover said:
I have EVGA Precision which does the same thing, but my results were similar.
I believe my problem has something to do with the Hybrid SLI feature with the integrated Geforce 8300, but I'm not sure. I went into BIOS and enabled the Hybrid SLI feature, and it seemed to help a bit, but hardly anything at all. Inside the BIOS I saw which VGA is selected first, and the one that was there by default was the PCI-E card. The other options were integrated VGA, and PCI card. Maybe the issue is my motherboard rather than my cpu...

Make sure you have your monitor plugged directly into the discrete graphics card, and not the motherboard.
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:06:21 AM

bystander said:
Make sure you have your monitor plugged directly into the discrete graphics card, and not the motherboard.

Yes, my monitor is connected to my GTX 460. I still think it has to do with my Hybrid SLI on the motherboard... maybe something in BIOS will do the trick? but I checked and I'm not really sure what I should change to make it not use the integrated card
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:23:15 AM

well you could go into device manager
right click my computer icon > manage > device manager
and disable the integrated graphics

i dont know your mobo bios so hopefully somebody who
owns one will read this
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:28:39 AM

king smp said:
well you could go into device manager
right click my computer icon > manage > device manager
and disable the integrated graphics

i dont know your mobo bios so hopefully somebody who
owns one will read this

I already tried this, but it didn't help at all, thank you though. I'm probably going to buy a 965 BE soon, and if it doesn't help my FPS, I'll buy a motherboard along with it. Maybe it has something to do with the settings in the NVidia control panel, but I set everything to performance instead of quality, so I'm not sure why I'm still getting low FPS
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 18, 2011 4:29:46 AM

rediscover said:
Yes, my monitor is connected to my GTX 460. I still think it has to do with my Hybrid SLI on the motherboard... maybe something in BIOS will do the trick? but I checked and I'm not really sure what I should change to make it not use the integrated card

I don't believe you want hybrid SLI on. I'd definitely disable hybrid SLI, at least to test if it will work without that feature.
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:30:01 AM

you know on GPUz while running game
there is no utilization of GPU
you are only at %1
it is like the card is not sensing 3D mode

your pcie lane is fine at 16x

look in nvidia control panel
see what 3d settings are in there
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:41:52 AM

I set it on performance on the first page "Adjust image settings with preview". The "Manage 3D Settings" page I set the game to have options which offer the most performance, and I'm still getting pretty low FPS.
m
l
June 18, 2011 8:50:50 PM

I agree that turning off hybrid SLI is good idea

I would go with the mobo before the cpu

at 1920x1080 I dont think the CPU would be that much of a bottleneck

m
l
!