Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Max Memory for Gaming

Last response: in Memory
August 11, 2012 7:50:08 PM

Are there any games that require more than 8GB of DDR3 system memory? By 'any games' I mean modern games we play today; shooters, role playing, MM, real time strategy, etc.

More about : max memory gaming

a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2012 9:22:36 PM

Not that I know of, there isn't. I don't play any RPG's or RTS games myself, so I can't speak for those, but I know from my own experience that a game like BF3 does just fine with "only" 8GB.
Score
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2012 9:36:20 PM

I don't think that any games can make much use of more than even 6GB of memory except in extreme situations with severe modding or when you're also doing some heavy multi-tasking. All modern games can run just fine on 4GB if they're not modded and you're not multi-tasking, so using more than 8GB would not be easy unless you try to.
Score
Related resources
August 11, 2012 9:36:48 PM

That's kinda what I thought too. But so many folks are buying 16GB kits and even 32GB kits. Just bragging rights?
Score
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2012 9:38:52 PM

box o rocks said:
Just bragging rights?

For a gamer, yeah, basically.

If you do some video editing or 3D rendering, then having that much RAM makes more sense.
Score
August 11, 2012 9:40:30 PM

box o rocks said:
That's kinda what I thought too. But so many folks are buying 16GB kits and even 32GB kits. Just bragging rights?

Sometimes I'll have 3 games running at the same time, such as an MMO, startegy game, and maybe an FPS... This is because I run a mult-game guild, so my presense is sometimes required in different games. Personally I have 12GB, which is more than capable of running all the games at once. However this shouldn't be justifications for buying more RAM, as my situation is different than most.

Edit: I've been able to run Eve, WoW, EQ2, and watch a movie with no issues. CPU: i7-950, 12GB RAM, and two Nvidia 260's(Not SLI, 4 monitor setup)
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2012 9:55:17 PM

8gb is typically the sweet spot for modern gaming.

Bear in mind, you can always upgrade your RAM if needed.
Score
August 11, 2012 9:56:39 PM

melharts said:
I've been able to run Eve, WoW, EQ2, and watch a movie with no issues. CPU: i7-950, 12GB RAM, and two Nvidia 260's(Not SLI, 4 monitor setup)

I'm going to go off topic here for a moment.
One of my machines has 2 PCIe x16 slots; one @X16 and one @x4. I never wanted to do CF because of the X4 slot. But you mention using the 2nd card for a 2nd (or more) monitor. How would I do that? Just leave the bridge off and disable CF in CCC? Then connect the 2nd monitor to the 2nd card?

If so, I wouldn't need the cards to match, would I?
Score
August 11, 2012 10:16:26 PM

box o rocks said:
One of my machines has 2 PCIe x16 slots; one @X16 and one @x4. I never wanted to do CF because of the X4 slot. But you mention using the 2nd card for a 2nd (or more) monitor. How would I do that? Just leave the bridge off and disable CF in CCC? Then connect the 2nd monitor to the 2nd card?.

You got it. There are a few options that you'll need to do, but its the ATI catalyst program? I know how to do it with nvidia cards, but my expertise is lacking for radeon/ati

box o rocks said:

I don't think they do, mine do because I was running SLI before, however I determined for my needs that quad monitors was better than stunning graphics settings in game.
Score

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
August 11, 2012 10:36:03 PM

box o rocks said:
I'm going to go off topic here for a moment.
One of my machines has 2 PCIe x16 slots; one @X16 and one @x4. I never wanted to do CF because of the X4 slot. But you mention using the 2nd card for a 2nd (or more) monitor. How would I do that? Just leave the bridge off and disable CF in CCC? Then connect the 2nd monitor to the 2nd card?

You can run two different cards for multi-monitor setups (heck, you could have an AMD and a Nvidia card in the same system for this purpose), you would leave any bridge unconnected and leave Crossfire disabled if you have two AMD/Ati cards, and yes, you'd simply connect some monitors to the second video card's display outputs. I've had multiple monitors in machines that had two or even three graphics cards at once and no problems.

For example, you could have a GTX 670 and a Radeon 7970 in the same machine and they could each have three or four monitors (technically, the number of monitors doesn't need to match and there is no benefit to having them match).
August 12, 2012 2:17:21 AM

blazorthon said:
You can run two different cards for multi-monitor setups (heck, you could have an AMD and a Nvidia card in the same system for this purpose), you would leave any bridge unconnected and leave Crossfire disabled if you have two AMD/Ati cards, and yes, you'd simply connect some monitors to the second video card's display outputs. I've had multiple monitors in machines that had two or even three graphics cards at once and no problems.

For example, you could have a GTX 670 and a Radeon 7970 in the same machine and they could each have three or four monitors (technically, the number of monitors doesn't need to match and there is no benefit to having them match).

One thing to note with this, monitor resolutions do matter, so you want them to be mostly 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, but not a combination. Otherwise smooth scrolling across screens becomes problematic, such as hitting a wall in the smaller height. (Height being most important to match)
Score
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2012 2:21:07 AM

melharts said:
One thing to note with this, monitor resolutions do matter, so you want them to be mostly 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, but not a combination. Otherwise smooth scrolling across screens becomes problematic, such as hitting a wall in the smaller height. (Height being most important to match)

Good point. The count doesn't matter so long as the video cards support it, but the vertical resolution can cause nuisances if it doesn't match between all displays.
Score
August 16, 2012 8:22:01 PM

Best answer selected by box o rocks.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 9:00:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!