Sign in with
Your question

Replacing cooler on defective m/b

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2011 10:42:23 AM

My brand new build was working fine for the past two days, and was hibernated last night. This morning when it woke up, the ethernet was dead. Couldn't PING the router or other PCs on the small home office workgroup. Plugged in another known good cable-connection (from a PC with a working internet connection) and rebooted. No joy.

If I get a replacement motherboard, how do I handle the stock Intel CPU cooler? Can the cooler simply be wiggled off without harming the CPU? I assume the thermal paste has melted with the heat of the CPU and the two are bonded? Is that right? According to RealTemp, the cores were running 70 degrees below TJMax, so the stock cooler was more than adequate for my purposes.

Here's the configuration:
ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE
Intel i5-2500 (95W) w/ stock cooler
8GB Crucial RAM
Crucial 128GB SSD boot drive
1TB Caviar Green data-storage drive
Seasonic X650 modular PSU
Onboard graphics, no discrete GPU yet.
Win 7 Ultimate x64.
Cubitek MiniTank case with three fans. Stock Intel CPU cooler on one M/B header; intake fan on another m/b header. Exhaust fans on PSU molex/splitter.
November 11, 2011 11:31:02 AM

The stock cooler has push pins to hold it down. Take a flat head screw driver and turn the pins the direction shown on the pins there should be a little arrow on the plastic. After you turn them pull the top of the pins and it will release from the mb.
m
l
November 11, 2011 12:18:12 PM

christop said:
The stock cooler has push pins to hold it down. Take a flat head screw driver and turn the pins the direction shown on the pins there should be a little arrow on the plastic. After you turn them pull the top of the pins and it will release from the mb.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I have found some info that maybe the problem relates to drivers + hibernation conflict, and maybe the m/b is fine.
m
l
!