Moving PC components from a slimtower desktop into a bigger desktop

meerul264

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
My PC which I am using now is Acer Aspire AX3950.

It's a slim tower PC so only low profile graphic cards are able to fit into it. It's such a hassle.

So I want to move all the components from my slim tower PC and put it all into a new wider and taller Desktop body case. Then I would buy a new PSU (or is it motherboard? lol clarify this for me plz) and graphic card to play games such as Skyrim and BF3.

I aim to buy Radeon HD 6850 1GB for this modification. However I do not know what's suitable motherboard (or is it PSU?) that comes with it. Also tell me about its ATX or ITX. I don't know anything about it.

Sorry for my illiteracy in this topic. I really need your help to modify my PC. Please help me in any way possible, I would really appreciate it.

I would leave it alone unless you're very experienced handling pc components, especially if your system is still under warranty. I recommend this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150565 card with your present system. But if you are going to change cases, keep your old components until the warranty expires; you may actually have to move them back into the old case to send it in for warranty. For a decent case, get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042 along with an antec, corsair, or ocz power supply. A 600w model should power the 6850 fine. Do not use a cheap brand of power supply. Seasonic and xfx are even better than the ones I recommended. Cheap power supplies can cause video problems. If you don't have enough for the card and power supply, wait and save some more money before using the video card. Your acer power supply is 220 watts, and will barely power the 5450 I recommended.

It looks like your current motherboard is a ITX motherboard. I base that on the two slots I see on the back of the case. A M-ATX motherboard will have 4 slots, and a full atx motherboard will have 7 slots.

If you wish to try reusing it, it should fit in any case. You will not have a back panel cover which looks ugly but is still ok. It is worth a try before buying a replacement motherboard.

Your 220w psu is inadequate for any discrete graphics card. A 6850 needs a 500w psu.

Before you take things apart, I suggest you take some pics so you can remember where all of the psu and other leads go.

If you want to move your stuff from a tiny case to a big one you don't really need to change anything.

If you do want to change things, you may not need a new motherboard, depending on the specifications of it. As long as the new video card will fit in the slot you are probably fine.

Look at the manual that came with the computer to see what sort of slots you have available and ensure that whatever else you get will fit in those slots.

If you do get a new graphics card, though, do like others said and get a new PSU (Power Supply Unit, what you plug the cord into that goes to the wall) as well. Spend $1 per 10w on it. If you only spend $1 per 20w on it you will be sorry later.

Taking pictures doesn't hurt if if you are using the same motherboard or a similar one, but could lead you astray on some other ones. The manual will tell you where everything goes, but pictures of your current one don't hurt for reference.

meerul264

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

That 5450 is wouldn't be able to play Skyrim or BF3 in high or near to high setting. However case for the modification you gave me is quite good. Next I would just need to buy new PSU and along with adding another 2GB RAM DDR3. I only have 2GB for the moment. Regarding the experience on handling PC components, I can just get help from nearby PC shop... I'm sure they're willing to help me, with monetary rewards of course..

meerul264

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks for the tips. I wouldn't mind if the case is ugly, as long as my PC performance during the game is good even when set on high setting.

meerul264

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks I will keep that in mind when I buy new PSU. So it seems that I do not need to buy a new motherboard :D

meerul264

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

What do you mean by no back panel cover? Does it mean there's no back cover at all, the back is just empty? or only some part of it is uncovered?

A standard case will have an opening for a i/o cover. That cover has openings for the ports and connectors mounted on the back of the motherboard. The exact design is unique to each motherboard, and will come with the motherboard. In this case, it appears that the case itself was designed without a removeable i/o panel, so there will be empty space around the ports. In theory, the i/o panel will also shield em radiation, but I don't think that is really a concern.

OEM companies (DELL, HP, etc) can sponsor the creation of computer cases that exactly match their own motherboards.

Other companies like Asus have to make their motherboards fit within a universal case setup that they have no control over. Doing this requires a sheet of metal that sits between the motherboard and the case, covering up a lot of empty space.

That empty space doesn't really need to be covered up this way, but it looks prettier if it is.