Closed Solved

Need help updating older PC

I am updating my parents old computer and have a question regarding RAM.

The mother board is a FOXCONN N15235 with a max of 2GB of RAM. My question is would it be better to have one 2GB stick

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/230835615533?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 )


or two 1GB sticks

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/130738477776?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 ).

They both have the same number of pins, and both are 800MHz.

Since I won't be able to upgrade the RAM on this motherboard anymore will having just one stick be better?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need updating older
  1. Any reason why you're not getting a newer motherboard with CPU and RAM? And then you won't have to upgrade ever again, probably.
  2. To answer your question, 2 sticks will allow you to take advantage of dual channel memory. One stick won't. In theory, dual channel is faster than single channel.
  3. dingo07 said:
    Any reason why you're not getting a newer motherboard with CPU and RAM? And then you won't have to upgrade ever again, probably.


    Actually The motherboard I'm using is newer than their original (Foxconn 661 MXPlus) and I am upgrading the CPU to a Pentium D so it should be enough to do what they want.

    But mainly because their budget is kinda limited and they don't do anything incredibly taxing for a computer. They just want something that can browse the internet without a page taking an hour to load ( not kidding on this one ).
  4. clutchc said:
    To answer your question, 2 sticks will allow you to take advantage of dual channel memory. One stick won't. In theory, dual channel is faster than single channel.


    How do i tell if the motherboard supports dual channel? Sorry I'm still a little new to this.
  5. Best answer
    smoats29 said:
    How do i tell if the motherboard supports dual channel? Sorry I'm still a little new to this.

    According to the specs for that board, it uses DDR2 memory. Most boards that utilize DDR RAM were dual channel. And these specs indicate that board is indeed dual channel.
    http://www.okmemory.com/Foxconn-N_Motherboard_Series-N15235-D27847-memory.html/
  6. Best answer selected by smoats29.
  7. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Motherboards