Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Suggestions on a Hd Tv as a Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2011 10:23:27 PM

Hi, im giving away my old monitor to my brother so in return im looking for a HDTV which will be used as a monitor for my computer plus watching tv would be a great add. So what im looking for is one that can handle my needs which are online gaming(Fps, Real-time displays) and visibility issues/pixel performance(Like overstretch of pictures etc.). For my graphics card i will make sure it will not bottleneck the Display's performance

A General Layout of the spec im looking for:
24-28"
HDMI + DVI output, 1080p(Or 720p?, which would be best for view? so i could real texts, The monitor will be about 2-4feet away)
Price range should not be too overboard, but options are great
Do not need built-in speakers

OR should i get a HD Monitor to be also used as a tv also via tuner
Whichever is better

Thank you for your time

More about : suggestions monitor

a b C Monitor
June 10, 2011 4:23:38 PM

Hi chehSun

If you're not worried about any input lag in your games then go for an lcd, smaller size/cheaper would be the only reason you'd get one.

But if you want a superb picture and instant responses in your gaming then I would advise you to get Panasonic Viera 42" plasma, i think they’re the smallest size they come in. I bought mine for $900

I’m sitting in front of one right now only 3 feet away and i assure you i see no pixels being so close. Very good tv to use as a monitor @ 1080p. Also easy to read too, noworries there.

Before buying the Viera, I bought a Samsung 38" lcd 100hz thinking that was big enough. Didn’t bother with plasmas because they don’t come in that size. Trackmania, a racing game I play I noticed a horrible lag, like you’re driving in water. Even with all the filters turned off, it didnt help. So I tried the game on the 50" Panasonic Viera plasma in the lounge, straight away i noticed the instant feel I was used too. So the lcd ended up on top of the fridge in the kitchen and bought an 42" Panasonic Viera plasma for the computer, i was kicking my self for not buying the latter in the first place... Its a good size, very enjoyable playing games and also watching tv of course :) 

I'm happy with it.

Also forgot to mention the tv comes with an option in its own menus for overscan/underscan. Windows 7 for me knows the tv name and has a full picture with the correct bordering when using either hdmi or hdmi to dvi converter cable.
m
l
June 10, 2011 7:32:18 PM

Those sizes are too big, im looking for something to be able to put on my workstation table.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2011 10:59:31 AM

remember panasonic are the best on the market for picture quality not sound so ideal for you if you only need picture and not sound. :) 
m
l
!