Sign in with
Your question

First-time system build, SATA HDD and Blu-Ray not being detected

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2011 11:42:05 AM

Hello, everyone. Over the past couple of days, I've been working with my brother over IM to try and help him put together the first system he's ever built from component parts - he doesn't have access to a very fast system right now, since the tower he was using before finally hit some kind of breaking point, so I'm posting this on his behalf. After a lot of struggling, he's got it to the point where it'll boot up to the BIOS...but for some reason, it doesn't detect any of the drives, either the HDDs or the optical drive. Here are the parts he's using:

GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD motherboard.
The case is an Antec Nine Hundred and Two V3.
8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM in two 4GB chips.
The PSU is an Antec BP550 Plus.
Two Seagate Barracuda dries, one 1TB and the other 2TB, plugged into SATA 0 and 1 respectively.
LITEON 12X iHBS212 Blu-Ray Burner, hooked up to SATA 2.
And the APU is an AMD A8-3850.

Now, he needs at least one HDD, preferably the 1TB, and the Blu-Ray drive working to install the OS. When he boots the system, it'll say it's booting from CD/DVD drive (sometimes; other times it'll just say "Loading operating system...
DISK BOOT FAILURE: Insert system disk and press enter..." - when the CD/DVD drive part appears, it's between those two, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it at all), like it's set to in the BIOS, and then say DISK BOOT FAILURE. Like I said, none of the drives are showing up in the BIOS - it says 0MB and 'None' for the detected drives. He's tried switching it to AHCI mode, too, which doesn't seem to help.

The power LED on the Blu-Ray drive is flashing, which means it must be getting at least some power, but it doesn't open or close when you press the button, and he says the HDDs aren't spinning up, either. All I've been able to offer him is that maybe the data cables aren't connected right, but he's been over that before, too.

Can anyone help? Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2011 1:29:32 PM

"none of the drives are showing up in the BIOS - it says 0MB and 'None' for the detected drives." That rules out operating system problems.

Did you try only attaching one of the drives and seeing if it is recognized? Did you try one drive in various sata ports? (although all come off the AMD A75 chipset) Is there a way to force the sata ports to be 3 Gbps instead of them auto detecting 3 vs. 6?
m
l
August 15, 2011 10:12:32 PM

"Did you try only attaching one of the drives and seeing if it is recognized? Did you try one drive in various sata ports? (although all come off the AMD A75 chipset) Is there a way to force the sata ports to be 3 Gbps instead of them auto detecting 3 vs. 6?[/quotemsg]"

We've tried both of the first two solutions, and neither really works, though oddly, the Blu-Ray (and only the Blu-Ray) gets recognized in SATA 4, though it still won't open or close or read discs. I've been checking into the third, and it looks like a lot of people use jumpers on the drives themselves to make them operate in a certain mode. I'm not sure if that would explain the Blu-Ray, though, and I'm not sure it's possible to force the speed setting from the motherboard/BIOS side. At this point, I'm just wondering if it's a power problem.

I should mention that they sent him OEM drives by mistake or something and they didn't come with jumpers. Is it worth getting some and trying? Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, so he switched the power cable he was using for the 1TB HDD with the one he was using for the Blu-Ray, and when hooked up to that one (it's a split cable) all three devices show up in the BIOS. The Blu-Ray still won't actually open or close or read a disc, though - when the button is pressed, the LED flashes for a while like it's trying to do something, but nothing happens. The current plan is to try to borrow a DVD drive so he can get the OS installed and then maybe see if the Blu-Ray just needs a firmware update or something.
m
l
!