Computer Crashes When I play Games

Hey guys.

My PC has not been running properly. It crashes within 1-2 minutes of playing a video game. It either crashes to the desktop, and the "display driver has stopped responding and recovered" message appears, or it crashes to a black screen, sound stutters, and I have to either manually reboot or it will reboot by itself. It all started 2 weeks ago when I was playing BF3, and then it just suddenly crashed, and has been doing so ever since. I have tried so much, and I can't figure out what the problem is. I have updated drivers and cleaned the PC. This happens to EVERY game I play, not just BF3.

It is not a GPU issue (it crashes whether I Overclock or not). I think its either a CPU issue or PSU issue. All my temps are fine. CPU cores they around 31 C and GPU stays at 35 C while idol. GPU pushes up to around 70-80 when on load.

Here are my specs: GTX 580, i2500 K, 8 GB Ram, 750 W Corsair PSU, Asrock Mobo, Windows 7.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
13 answers Last reply
More about computer crashes play games
  1. EDIT: The BIOS temps for the CPU is 48.0 C and the MoBo Temp is 32.0C
    Voltage readings are
    Vcore:1.200V
    +12.00V:+12.091V
    +5.00v: +5.088V
    +3.30V: +3.344
  2. Run a CPU stress test like the IntelBurn In and see if it reboots.
    Then run a GPU stress test like Furmarks and see if it reboots.
    Keep HWMonitor on to keep a watch on temps and voltages and post the details here. Esp under load.
  3. Ok will report back.
  4. It crashed during the GPU test but not the CPU test. Temps all remained stable.
  5. since you wrote
    Quote:
    display driver has stopped responding and recovered

It's clearly related to GPU or driver.

What version driver are you using? Regardless I would uninstall it and do a clean install of driver (you have the option in advance installation)

If you still have problem it might be good to RMA.

A psu problem would shut down computer or BSOD
  6. I am using Nvidia driver version 285.79. I just upgraded the driver yesterday, and didn't fix my problem.
  7. dextermat said:
    since you wrote
    Quote:
    display driver has stopped responding and recovered

It's clearly related to GPU or driver.

What version driver are you using? Regardless I would uninstall it and do a clean install of driver (you have the option in advance installation)

If you still have problem it might be good to RMA.

A psu problem would shut down computer or BSOD

My computer also goes into a blackscreen where it automatically restarts, too. It varies.
  8. what's the brand of your PSU :D enlist your entire setup
  9. sorry i saw it now :) try to use another PSU
  10. Temps, remain stable...... ok but what are they.
    Minimum required PSU is 600W for the GPU you may be cutting it too close to the mark. I suggest checking how you have connected the GPU to the PSU.
    Is it using the PCIe Power connectors or is it using a splitter on a molex connector?
  11. alyoshka said:
    Temps, remain stable...... ok but what are they.
    Minimum required PSU is 600W for the GPU you may be cutting it too close to the mark. I suggest checking how you have connected the GPU to the PSU.
    Is it using the PCIe Power connectors or is it using a splitter on a molex connector?

I have a 750 Watt Corsair PSU and it is using an 8 Pin PCIe connector and a 6 Pin PCIe connector for power.
  12. How old is the PSU?

PSUs can't put out as much juice after 3 to 5 years as they can on day 1. Every day it is in use it is less able to do the exact same thing as the day before. Only by a tiny bit, but its there.

If your Corsair 750w is 3 to 5 years old it may only be able to give 400 - 500 reliably now.

If that 750w Corsair is less than a year old, I doubt this is the problem.

Assuming for now that the PSU is new'ish, it mostly just sounds like your video card is a paperweight.
  13. hmmm, what were your temps during Furmark? i know you said they remained stable but you never listed what they were...

but... if all else fails... RMA it... you didn't buy a product to be dealing with problems, work arounds (other then driver reinstalls) aren't proper just because a company sent you a faulty card :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs