Sign in with
Your question

Computer Crashes When I play Games

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 11, 2011 1:20:18 PM

Hey guys.

My PC has not been running properly. It crashes within 1-2 minutes of playing a video game. It either crashes to the desktop, and the "display driver has stopped responding and recovered" message appears, or it crashes to a black screen, sound stutters, and I have to either manually reboot or it will reboot by itself. It all started 2 weeks ago when I was playing BF3, and then it just suddenly crashed, and has been doing so ever since. I have tried so much, and I can't figure out what the problem is. I have updated drivers and cleaned the PC. This happens to EVERY game I play, not just BF3.

It is not a GPU issue (it crashes whether I Overclock or not). I think its either a CPU issue or PSU issue. All my temps are fine. CPU cores they around 31 C and GPU stays at 35 C while idol. GPU pushes up to around 70-80 when on load.

Here are my specs: GTX 580, i2500 K, 8 GB Ram, 750 W Corsair PSU, Asrock Mobo, Windows 7.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
November 11, 2011 1:36:21 PM

EDIT: The BIOS temps for the CPU is 48.0 C and the MoBo Temp is 32.0C
Voltage readings are
Vcore:1.200V
+12.00V:+12.091V
+5.00v: +5.088V
+3.30V: +3.344
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 1:53:18 PM

Run a CPU stress test like the IntelBurn In and see if it reboots.
Then run a GPU stress test like Furmarks and see if it reboots.
Keep HWMonitor on to keep a watch on temps and voltages and post the details here. Esp under load.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2011 1:56:34 PM

Ok will report back.
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:06:09 PM

It crashed during the GPU test but not the CPU test. Temps all remained stable.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 2:08:06 PM

since you wrote
Quote:
display driver has stopped responding and recovered

It's clearly related to GPU or driver.

What version driver are you using? Regardless I would uninstall it and do a clean install of driver (you have the option in advance installation)

If you still have problem it might be good to RMA.

A psu problem would shut down computer or BSOD
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:09:49 PM

I am using Nvidia driver version 285.79. I just upgraded the driver yesterday, and didn't fix my problem.
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:10:36 PM

dextermat said:
since you wrote
Quote:
display driver has stopped responding and recovered

It's clearly related to GPU or driver.

What version driver are you using? Regardless I would uninstall it and do a clean install of driver (you have the option in advance installation)

If you still have problem it might be good to RMA.

A psu problem would shut down computer or BSOD

My computer also goes into a blackscreen where it automatically restarts, too. It varies.
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:21:42 PM

what's the brand of your PSU :D  enlist your entire setup
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:23:00 PM

sorry i saw it now :)  try to use another PSU
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 2:56:07 PM

Temps, remain stable...... ok but what are they.
Minimum required PSU is 600W for the GPU you may be cutting it too close to the mark. I suggest checking how you have connected the GPU to the PSU.
Is it using the PCIe Power connectors or is it using a splitter on a molex connector?
m
l
November 11, 2011 3:03:15 PM

alyoshka said:
Temps, remain stable...... ok but what are they.
Minimum required PSU is 600W for the GPU you may be cutting it too close to the mark. I suggest checking how you have connected the GPU to the PSU.
Is it using the PCIe Power connectors or is it using a splitter on a molex connector?

I have a 750 Watt Corsair PSU and it is using an 8 Pin PCIe connector and a 6 Pin PCIe connector for power.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 4:45:23 PM

How old is the PSU?

PSUs can't put out as much juice after 3 to 5 years as they can on day 1. Every day it is in use it is less able to do the exact same thing as the day before. Only by a tiny bit, but its there.

If your Corsair 750w is 3 to 5 years old it may only be able to give 400 - 500 reliably now.

If that 750w Corsair is less than a year old, I doubt this is the problem.

Assuming for now that the PSU is new'ish, it mostly just sounds like your video card is a paperweight.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 6:40:21 PM

hmmm, what were your temps during Furmark? i know you said they remained stable but you never listed what they were...

but... if all else fails... RMA it... you didn't buy a product to be dealing with problems, work arounds (other then driver reinstalls) aren't proper just because a company sent you a faulty card :) 
m
l
!