Comp sudden BSOD, will only start with one RAM stick

Okay, first of all, here is what I have -

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro Motherboard
MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600 (2 x 2GB)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply

And here is my problem -

This morning my wife turns on the computer, and when she tries to open Firefox, the computer suddenly gets a BSOD, and will no longer turn on.

I get home from work to look at it, and the MemOK LED light on the MB is illuminated (no flashing). The computer, at this point, still will not turn on. I figure it is a problem with the RAM, so I grab an unopened package of RAM (Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 2 x 4GB) that I had, and installed it in the computer. It still will not turn on. So, I pull out the stick in slot 3 and try to boot the computer with only one stick in slot 1.

It works. The computer boots up, albeit slowly, and I get to the BIOS screen, where I simply use default settings and get to windows (windows 7 home ed.). However, after several reboots, the system seems extremely unstable, and I often get a BSOD for seemingly unrelated tasks (mostly while accessing the internet).

Now for some history -

I built this rig about 2 years ago, however, about a year ago, my (at the time) one year old son would sneak under the computer desk and rapidly press the power-strip button on and off. Of course, as soon as I found out this was happening, I stopped the behavior, but I suspect the damage had been done, and sure enough, the computer hasn't acted the same ever since (random slow-downs, will not come out of sleep-mode without a hard restart, etc.). I'm sure the computer was subjected to pretty bad power-spikes/surges from being rapidly turned off and on, and I wonder if this has somehow damaged the PSU or motherboard (or both).

Even though I built this computer, I'm still not the most advanced tech guy - can someone help me with this problem? Is there anything I can do to isolate whether it is a bad PSU, Motherboard, or RAM? The MB manual indicates to place the single stick of RAM in slot one, however, I cannot get the G.SKill RAM in that slot because the CPU cooler interferes with it (I can, however, get the Corsair RAM stick in slot one, it is a much smaller stick of RAM) - so, unless I can test the G.Skill ram in another slot other than slot one, I can't boot the computer up with the original RAM (it won't start with two sticks of RAM, as I said earlier...)

Anyway, enough rambling on my part - any help would be VASTLY appreciated - and I thank in advance anyone who takes time to respond - please let me know if there is any other information I can post with. Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about comp sudden bsod start stick
  1. Sounds like some kind of electrical short, you might have to dust and re-seat everything on mobo. might even be a hard drive problem check data and power cables to hard drive and mobo. Maybe a corrupt windows file/image. try swapping PSU also.
    I might be wrong but it would hurt to try.
  2. Would not *
  3. Alright, I'll go through and make sure everything is seated properly - unfortunately I don't have an extra PSU to swap in...

Any other suggestions as to how I may possibly isolate this problem would be greatly appreciated!
  4. Well - i've tried a few other things - first of all, I pulled the GPU out of the PC and tried to boot with two sticks of RAM - same problem. Pulled out the second stick of RAM, with GPU out, and it booted up (after a couple tries).

I put the GPU back in, and the computer wouldn't start. I got it to post once, but the start process stalled and I was forced to do a hard reset. Couldn't really get the computer to start in this configuration.

I pulled the GPU back out, and it restarted. So, i'm not really sure what think - is it the GPU that is bad, or is the Motherboard bad, because I still cannot get it to start with two sticks of RAM?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
  5. Get another motherboard.
    Recommend Intel or Gigabyte.
  6. Turned out the motherboard was bad - I replaced it, and voila, computer is up and running again.

Thanks for the replies!
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Blue Screen RAM Computer Motherboards