Your question

Comp sudden BSOD, will only start with one RAM stick

Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2012 11:06:24 PM

Okay, first of all, here is what I have -

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro Motherboard
MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600 (2 x 2GB)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply

And here is my problem -

This morning my wife turns on the computer, and when she tries to open Firefox, the computer suddenly gets a BSOD, and will no longer turn on.

I get home from work to look at it, and the MemOK LED light on the MB is illuminated (no flashing). The computer, at this point, still will not turn on. I figure it is a problem with the RAM, so I grab an unopened package of RAM (Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 2 x 4GB) that I had, and installed it in the computer. It still will not turn on. So, I pull out the stick in slot 3 and try to boot the computer with only one stick in slot 1.

It works. The computer boots up, albeit slowly, and I get to the BIOS screen, where I simply use default settings and get to windows (windows 7 home ed.). However, after several reboots, the system seems extremely unstable, and I often get a BSOD for seemingly unrelated tasks (mostly while accessing the internet).

Now for some history -

I built this rig about 2 years ago, however, about a year ago, my (at the time) one year old son would sneak under the computer desk and rapidly press the power-strip button on and off. Of course, as soon as I found out this was happening, I stopped the behavior, but I suspect the damage had been done, and sure enough, the computer hasn't acted the same ever since (random slow-downs, will not come out of sleep-mode without a hard restart, etc.). I'm sure the computer was subjected to pretty bad power-spikes/surges from being rapidly turned off and on, and I wonder if this has somehow damaged the PSU or motherboard (or both).

Even though I built this computer, I'm still not the most advanced tech guy - can someone help me with this problem? Is there anything I can do to isolate whether it is a bad PSU, Motherboard, or RAM? The MB manual indicates to place the single stick of RAM in slot one, however, I cannot get the G.SKill RAM in that slot because the CPU cooler interferes with it (I can, however, get the Corsair RAM stick in slot one, it is a much smaller stick of RAM) - so, unless I can test the G.Skill ram in another slot other than slot one, I can't boot the computer up with the original RAM (it won't start with two sticks of RAM, as I said earlier...)

Anyway, enough rambling on my part - any help would be VASTLY appreciated - and I thank in advance anyone who takes time to respond - please let me know if there is any other information I can post with. Thanks!
August 11, 2012 11:19:11 PM

Sounds like some kind of electrical short, you might have to dust and re-seat everything on mobo. might even be a hard drive problem check data and power cables to hard drive and mobo. Maybe a corrupt windows file/image. try swapping PSU also.
I might be wrong but it would hurt to try.
m
l
August 11, 2012 11:21:34 PM

Would not *
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2012 2:23:06 AM

Alright, I'll go through and make sure everything is seated properly - unfortunately I don't have an extra PSU to swap in...

Any other suggestions as to how I may possibly isolate this problem would be greatly appreciated!
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:27:26 PM

Well - i've tried a few other things - first of all, I pulled the GPU out of the PC and tried to boot with two sticks of RAM - same problem. Pulled out the second stick of RAM, with GPU out, and it booted up (after a couple tries).

I put the GPU back in, and the computer wouldn't start. I got it to post once, but the start process stalled and I was forced to do a hard reset. Couldn't really get the computer to start in this configuration.

I pulled the GPU back out, and it restarted. So, i'm not really sure what think - is it the GPU that is bad, or is the Motherboard bad, because I still cannot get it to start with two sticks of RAM?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 6:06:05 PM

Get another motherboard.
Recommend Intel or Gigabyte.
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:13:51 PM

Turned out the motherboard was bad - I replaced it, and voila, computer is up and running again.

Thanks for the replies!
m
l
!