Recommended mods in the year 2004?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 26, 2004 6:27:50 PM

It have been a couple of years since i last tried Baldurs Gate 2. Only
played through the beginning of it. Now im intending to start again with
4 self-made characters and 2 characters I find in the game.

It's my impression that scripts/mods are quite popular for Baldurs Gate
2. And having looked at a few different old BG-sites some of those mods
seem to add a great deal to the game.

Now, I would ask any of you to recommend some of the best mods out there,
that work well, and work well TOGETHER.

I'm playing the latest version of BG2 with TOB installed, with latest
patch of course.

I'm not looking for cheating mods. I'm mainly looking for things that
repair bugs in the game, and to a little degree stuff that makes a few
things less "inconvenient". For example stacking of potions, maybe bigger
inventory, and such stuff. Also maybe stuff that takes into consideration
i'm playing with 4 selfmade characters that i guess the game isn't really
made for (maybe that give trouble somewhere in the game?) - i guess its
made for ONE selfmade char, and rely on that i FIND the rest in the game.

And why don't i just use google? - actually i have tried that :) , but its
just that many of the pages seem a bit old, and a lot of the links don't
work anymore. So i would be sure i got the best by asking the current
playing fans of the game :)

Thanks in advance.

Morten
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:27:51 PM

Morten wrote:
> It have been a couple of years since i last tried Baldurs Gate 2. Only
> played through the beginning of it. Now im intending to start again with
> 4 self-made characters and 2 characters I find in the game.
>
> It's my impression that scripts/mods are quite popular for Baldurs Gate
> 2. And having looked at a few different old BG-sites some of those mods
> seem to add a great deal to the game.
>
> Now, I would ask any of you to recommend some of the best mods out there,
> that work well, and work well TOGETHER.
>
> I'm playing the latest version of BG2 with TOB installed, with latest
> patch of course.
>
> I'm not looking for cheating mods. I'm mainly looking for things that
> repair bugs in the game, and to a little degree stuff that makes a few
> things less "inconvenient". For example stacking of potions, maybe bigger
> inventory, and such stuff. Also maybe stuff that takes into consideration
> i'm playing with 4 selfmade characters that i guess the game isn't really
> made for (maybe that give trouble somewhere in the game?) - i guess its
> made for ONE selfmade char, and rely on that i FIND the rest in the game.

Install the base games and apply the latest patch. Then baldurdash
(baldurdash.org). After that, take a look at pocketplane.net and weidu.org.

Personally I don't like to add mods unless I plan on using them for that
game. weidu (a game script modifying program) makes it fairly painless
to add and remove mods, though care should still be taken.

My best advice is after you install the game and baldurdash, create a
backup of the override folder and the dialog.tlk file. These are the
files that mods use to change the game. Keeping a backup will allow you
to reset your game back to the base install by simply deleting these
items and replacing them with the backup. It won't fix a broken save
game, but it will save you the hassle of reinstalling the game if
something goes wrong.

Tactics and ease-of-use are a good start, as are Valen, Solaufein, and
Kelsey. Read the read-me files for each mod, as there are some issues
with installing them in the right order.

Good luck!

Mark.

> And why don't i just use google? - actually i have tried that :) , but its
> just that many of the pages seem a bit old, and a lot of the links don't
> work anymore. So i would be sure i got the best by asking the current
> playing fans of the game :)
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Morten

September 27, 2004 3:13:45 AM

Mark Haslam <mshaslam@drizzle.com> wrote in

> Morten wrote:
>> It have been a couple of years since i last tried Baldurs Gate 2.
>> Only played through the beginning of it. Now im intending to start
>> again with 4 self-made characters and 2 characters I find in the
>> game.
>>
>> It's my impression that scripts/mods are quite popular for Baldurs
>> Gate 2. And having looked at a few different old BG-sites some of
>> those mods seem to add a great deal to the game.
>>
>> Now, I would ask any of you to recommend some of the best mods out
>> there, that work well, and work well TOGETHER.
>>
>> I'm playing the latest version of BG2 with TOB installed, with latest
>> patch of course.
>>
>> I'm not looking for cheating mods. I'm mainly looking for things that
>> repair bugs in the game, and to a little degree stuff that makes a
>> few things less "inconvenient". For example stacking of potions,
>> maybe bigger inventory, and such stuff. Also maybe stuff that takes
>> into consideration i'm playing with 4 selfmade characters that i
>> guess the game isn't really made for (maybe that give trouble
>> somewhere in the game?) - i guess its made for ONE selfmade char, and
>> rely on that i FIND the rest in the game.
>
> Install the base games and apply the latest patch. Then baldurdash
> (baldurdash.org). After that, take a look at pocketplane.net and
> weidu.org.
>
> Personally I don't like to add mods unless I plan on using them for
> that game. weidu (a game script modifying program) makes it fairly
> painless to add and remove mods, though care should still be taken.
>
> My best advice is after you install the game and baldurdash, create a
> backup of the override folder and the dialog.tlk file. These are the
> files that mods use to change the game. Keeping a backup will allow
> you to reset your game back to the base install by simply deleting
> these items and replacing them with the backup. It won't fix a broken
> save game, but it will save you the hassle of reinstalling the game if
> something goes wrong.
>
> Tactics and ease-of-use are a good start, as are Valen, Solaufein, and
> Kelsey. Read the read-me files for each mod, as there are some issues
> with installing them in the right order.

Thanks a lot for the long answer and good links. Now i'm ready to play,
except i made some mistake, but not related to the mods fortunately, but
more about that in another thread :)

Thanks again, it's appreciated!

Regards

Morten
September 27, 2004 10:26:11 AM

Mark Haslam schrieb:
> Morten wrote:
>
>> It have been a couple of years since i last tried Baldurs Gate 2. Only
>> played through the beginning of it.

[snip]

> Tactics and ease-of-use are a good start, as are Valen, Solaufein, and
> Kelsey.

Would you really think that Tactics is a good start for someone who
hasn't yet played through the game?
Martin
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 4:38:32 PM

> >> It have been a couple of years since i last tried Baldurs Gate 2. Only
> >> played through the beginning of it.
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Tactics and ease-of-use are a good start, as are Valen, Solaufein, and
> > Kelsey.
>
> Would you really think that Tactics is a good start for someone who
> hasn't yet played through the game?

I'd recommend new BG players to finish the game at least two or three times
without any mods before trying any.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 4:38:33 PM

KC Wong schrieb:

>>[snip]
>>
>>>Tactics and ease-of-use are a good start, as are Valen, Solaufein, and
>>>Kelsey.
>>
>>Would you really think that Tactics is a good start for someone who
>>hasn't yet played through the game?
>

> I'd recommend new BG players to finish the game at least two or three times
> without any mods before trying any.

So would I. And IMHO Tactics is definitely for experienced players only.
Martin
September 27, 2004 5:59:33 PM

Martin W├Ąchtler <sandbox@familie-waechtler.de> wrote in

>>>[snip]

>>>Would you really think that Tactics is a good start for someone who
>>>hasn't yet played through the game?
>>

>> I'd recommend new BG players to finish the game at least two or three
>> times without any mods before trying any.
>>
> So would I. And IMHO Tactics is definitely for experienced players
> only. Martin

Actually i don't mind a bit of a challenge :)  - of course im not sure HOW
hard it is - this "tactics"-thing. I went through Icewind Dale 1 with
almost no resting :) , and i liked that challenge. Not saying that i'm good,
just that i don't mind reloading a lot :)

But maybe i should wait under all circumstances, since i guess if i succeed
in getting through with the tactics-mod, then i guess there is no "reason"
in playing it all over again without. Makes more sense to start out with
the easy thing, in that regard :)

Morten
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 8:08:32 PM

KC Wong <my@privacy.net> wrote:

: I'd recommend new BG players to finish the game at least two or three times
: without any mods before trying any.

And I say, "Life is short. Play mods."

Even Tactics is okay, if you make frequent archive saves and know how to uninstall the mod. (Some
information gets stored in saved games once you visit an area, so just uninstalling isn't enough,
you'd need to go to an earlier save.)

--
Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
Anonymous

Here are some links to mods that definitely work:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/
http://gibberlings3.net/g3a/
http://www.fwstudios.net/

I would never play again without Unfinished Business, Oversight, and
Ease-of-Use (I hate inventory management), the banter packs, and the flirt
packs. Tactics is *hard*, and by that I mean I found all but one of the
battles impossible even on Easy, though I find BGII very easy by now. Most
WeiDU mods are compatible with each other, but you should check the readme's
just in case.

"Morten" <mmmmorten@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It have been a couple of years since i last tried Baldurs Gate 2. Only
> played through the beginning of it. Now im intending to start again with
> 4 self-made characters and 2 characters I find in the game.
>
> It's my impression that scripts/mods are quite popular for Baldurs Gate
> 2. And having looked at a few different old BG-sites some of those mods
> seem to add a great deal to the game.
>
> Now, I would ask any of you to recommend some of the best mods out there,
> that work well, and work well TOGETHER.
>
> I'm playing the latest version of BG2 with TOB installed, with latest
> patch of course.
>
> I'm not looking for cheating mods. I'm mainly looking for things that
> repair bugs in the game, and to a little degree stuff that makes a few
> things less "inconvenient". For example stacking of potions, maybe bigger
> inventory, and such stuff. Also maybe stuff that takes into consideration
> i'm playing with 4 selfmade characters that i guess the game isn't really
> made for (maybe that give trouble somewhere in the game?) - i guess its
> made for ONE selfmade char, and rely on that i FIND the rest in the game.
>

> And why don't i just use google? - actually i have tried that :) , but its
> just that many of the pages seem a bit old, and a lot of the links don't
> work anymore. So i would be sure i got the best by asking the current
> playing fans of the game :)
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Morten

October 1, 2004 1:01:01 AM

"neriana" <neriana@excite.com> wrote in
news:o 8G6d.4694$ls6.3493@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Here are some links to mods that definitely work:
>
> http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/
> http://gibberlings3.net/g3a/
> http://www.fwstudios.net/
>
> I would never play again without Unfinished Business, Oversight, and
> Ease-of-Use (I hate inventory management), the banter packs, and the
> flirt packs. Tactics is *hard*, and by that I mean I found all but one
> of the battles impossible even on Easy, though I find BGII very easy
> by now. Most WeiDU mods are compatible with each other, but you should
> check the readme's just in case.

Thanks again, for yet another fine answer, will surely check out the links
:-)

And ok, tactics might be too hard then i guess :)

Appreciated!

Regards

Morten
!