My Major DS Concern

Last response: in Video Games
January 10, 2005 8:24:55 PM

Aside from a few very minor issues, I have only one major concern with the
DS, though it is something they can address, and that has to do with the
wireless play. I just don't see how the local bluetooth wireless can be
relied upon to be fun.

Take for example Pictochat. For it to be of use, you have to be on your DS
with it open, just hanging around, and happen to have someone else who is
using Pictochat walk within 60 feet. Of course, I don't envision myself
sitting with Pictochat open hoping someone comes into range, I'll either
have the system off or be playing something else. The only way this would be
useful is with friends who are near specifically for gaming and you are
going to talk to them, not chat with them.

I think for Pictochat to be of much use it would need to both use Wi-Fi to
chat with people globally, using more of a AIM screen name system, and
second, give people a notice (accessible in any game) that someone has
entered your Bluetooth range, that way you might actually find people to
chat with outside of certain controlled situations.

Pictochat aside, wireless gaming in general is fairly worthless when limited
to 60 feet...well as worthless as multiplayer console gaming. It depends
specifically on how many friends you have nearby who game (and own the
system.) This is fine for those situations, and the Download Play is a nice
feature, but for any useful wireless play, it will need to go Wi-Fi and
again let you play people globally. This means some kind of server system to
find people and games. That means investment from Nintendo.

While I think the system can be excellent even if you remove Wi-Fi function,
after all, online gaming has been a limited benefit at least for me. It is
something that, while fun from time to time, isn't as essential as the media
makes it as single player gaming is still king. However, having an effective
multiplayer gaming program certainly beats having one that isn't effective.
I will be greatly disappointed with Nintendo if they fail to use it this
time. From Pictochat to Animal Crossing to Metroid Prime multiplayer, the DS
is screaming for solid online play, and Nintendo delivering that would make
it sure to stand above the competition IMO.
--
Xbox Live Games: TOCA Race Driver 2 and PGR2.
Currently Playing: Feel The Magic and Sprung (DS)

More about : major concern

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:57:51 AM

From my understanding the DS does use a form of WiFi not Bluetooth. Should
be much more fun once we can use our internet connections with it. I agree
that there needs to be some sort of notification if somebody else is in
range. I took my DS to the theater the other day to see if I could pick up
some signlas but did not find any. I thought it would be a great ad
campaign for Nintendo to use in theaters. Great place to use the wireless
capabilities while waiting around for a movie to start.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Bondo" <ewbondur@uccs.edu> wrote in message
> Aside from a few very minor issues, I have only one major concern with the
> DS, though it is something they can address, and that has to do with the
> wireless play. I just don't see how the local bluetooth wireless can be
> relied upon to be fun.
>
> Take for example Pictochat. For it to be of use, you have to be on your DS
> with it open, just hanging around, and happen to have someone else who is
> using Pictochat walk within 60 feet. Of course, I don't envision myself
> sitting with Pictochat open hoping someone comes into range, I'll either
> have the system off or be playing something else. The only way this would
> be
> useful is with friends who are near specifically for gaming and you are
> going to talk to them, not chat with them.
>
> I think for Pictochat to be of much use it would need to both use Wi-Fi to
> chat with people globally, using more of a AIM screen name system, and
> second, give people a notice (accessible in any game) that someone has
> entered your Bluetooth range, that way you might actually find people to
> chat with outside of certain controlled situations.
>
> Pictochat aside, wireless gaming in general is fairly worthless when
> limited
> to 60 feet...well as worthless as multiplayer console gaming. It depends
> specifically on how many friends you have nearby who game (and own the
> system.) This is fine for those situations, and the Download Play is a
> nice
> feature, but for any useful wireless play, it will need to go Wi-Fi and
> again let you play people globally. This means some kind of server system
> find people and games. That means investment from Nintendo.
>
> While I think the system can be excellent even if you remove Wi-Fi
> function,
> after all, online gaming has been a limited benefit at least for me. It is
> something that, while fun from time to time, isn't as essential as the
> media
> makes it as single player gaming is still king. However, having an
> effective
> multiplayer gaming program certainly beats having one that isn't
> effective.
> I will be greatly disappointed with Nintendo if they fail to use it this
> time. From Pictochat to Animal Crossing to Metroid Prime multiplayer, the
> DS
> is screaming for solid online play, and Nintendo delivering that would
> make
> it sure to stand above the competition IMO.
> --
> Xbox Live Games: TOCA Race Driver 2 and PGR2.
> Currently Playing: Feel The Magic and Sprung (DS)

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:38:38 AM

> The only way this would be
> useful is with friends who are near specifically for gaming and you are
> going to talk to them, not chat with them.

Study hall... maybe. :)

would've been cool.
January 11, 2005 12:28:14 PM

Bondo wrote:

> <snip>

First off, the DS doesn't use Bluetooth. It uses a wireless standard
called 802.11b, which most wireless access points use (although most are
moving towards 802.11g now, which (on the most part) is backwards
compatable)

Secondly, it has a range of around 300f (in open space, obviously less
where walls are involved), more if you are connecting to an access
point, and even more again if there are signal boosters on the access
points, so the scope for finding fellow gamers is immediately increased.

The problem lies with, as you said, pictochat. As far as I know (and I
don't have a DS, so I'm going on what I've read), you need pictochat
active & running in order to allow others to locate you, or to locate
others. I hope this is wrong, but I somehow doubt it.

I seriously hope they (Nintendo) take advantage of the wireless
connection, and open up gaming servers for online play. Yes, the DS is a
portable console, but with more and more wireless access points opening
up accross the country (well, the world really), it wouldn't be
difficult to connect whereever you are, and have a bash on Mario Kart,
which eating your KFC. Hell, I'd sit at home on my bed, connected to my
home LAN wirelessly if it ment I could play Mario Kart online!

Anywho, I just wanted to point out a couple of facts, and put in my 2¢

-Vit
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:21:37 PM

"Bondo" <ewbondur@uccs.edu> wrote in message

> Pictochat aside, wireless gaming in general is fairly worthless when
> limited
> to 60 feet...

Got to disagree here...even if you need to be close, it is way better than
pulling out the cables. Since my husband and I often take our GBAs or DSs to
Starbucks, it's great to be able to play together wireless.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:21:38 PM

> "Bondo" <ewbondur@uccs.edu> wrote in message
>
>> Pictochat aside, wireless gaming in general is fairly worthless when
>> limited
>> to 60 feet...
>
> Got to disagree here...even if you need to be close, it is way better than
> pulling out the cables. Since my husband and I often take our GBAs or DSs to
> Starbucks, it's great to be able to play together wireless.

Hmm...now I'm getting confused about this Wi-Fi vs. Bluetooth thing. Is a
wireless router necessary within 100 feet, I should think the systems
themselves can talk free of any other hardware, it would only be when
playing outside the range that having a wireless router would be necessary.
Though maybe I'm misreading your Starbucks comment.
--
Xbox Live Games: TOCA Race Driver 2 and PGR2.
Currently Playing: Donkey Konga and Sprung (DS)

Bondo wrote:

>>"Bondo" <ewbondur@uccs.edu> wrote in message
>>

>>>Pictochat aside, wireless gaming in general is fairly worthless when
>>>limited
>>>to 60 feet...
>>
>>Got to disagree here...even if you need to be close, it is way better than
>>pulling out the cables. Since my husband and I often take our GBAs or DSs to
>>Starbucks, it's great to be able to play together wireless.
>

> Hmm...now I'm getting confused about this Wi-Fi vs. Bluetooth thing. Is a
> wireless router necessary within 100 feet, I should think the systems
> themselves can talk free of any other hardware, it would only be when
> playing outside the range that having a wireless router would be necessary.
> Though maybe I'm misreading your Starbucks comment.

You don't need an access point to play DS-to-DS, you can use what's
known as an ad-hoc network (Peer-to-Peer), which is how it will work as
default.

You *can* (I assume) also connect to an access point to join a "proper"
network, where you can go online, or connect to other computers (DS's,
or otherwise) which are also connected to the same access point.

The Nintendo DS does not have Bluetooth. At all. EOD. It uses 802.11b.
NOT BLUETOOTH!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:59:26 PM

> Bondo wrote:
>>
>>> "Bondo" <ewbondur@uccs.edu> wrote in message

>>> Got to disagree here...even if you need to be close, it is way better than
>>> pulling out the cables. Since my husband and I often take our GBAs or DSs to
>>> Starbucks, it's great to be able to play together wireless.
>>

>> Hmm...now I'm getting confused about this Wi-Fi vs. Bluetooth thing. Is a
>> wireless router necessary within 100 feet, I should think the systems
>> themselves can talk free of any other hardware, it would only be when
>> playing outside the range that having a wireless router would be necessary.
>> Though maybe I'm misreading your Starbucks comment.
>
> You don't need an access point to play DS-to-DS, you can use what's
> known as an ad-hoc network (Peer-to-Peer), which is how it will work as
> default.
>
> You *can* (I assume) also connect to an access point to join a "proper"
> network, where you can go online, or connect to other computers (DS's,
> or otherwise) which are also connected to the same access point.
>
> The Nintendo DS does not have Bluetooth. At all. EOD. It uses 802.11b.
> NOT BLUETOOTH!

Thanks for clearing that up...I am now informed :)
--
Xbox Live Games: TOCA Race Driver 2 and PGR2.
Currently Playing: Tiger Woods 2005 and Sprung (DS)