Amd vs intel 2011 on making making. Which is better?

steevyboy601

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I am making lots of music with my PC but it runs at 2.0 Ghz of processing speed with a single core AMD. Not enough for all the plug-ins I use. So is there much difference with AMD and Intel on terms of sound?

Forgive me if I mistake the nature of the question but as far as the sound quality there really is no difference from one to the other. I know that we are using SSE 4.1/4.2 and the other guys shouldn’t be far behind and that is the only thing that I can think of that may influence the quality of the sound on the processor level. Now if you are talking about compiling some music that is more of a function of the software and how many core/threads it can support. If you are finding that your single core processor is bogging down then you might find that a dual or a quad would better serve you. In the end with heavily multi-threaded software it is hard to beat the Intel Core i7-2600K.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

steevyboy601

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I can't afford the Intel i7. I'm just wonder if AMD is alright or something to stay away from. I saw an Acer Desktop on sale. It's a quad core. I have an Acer laptop and love it, but it's running with Intel Atom. I'm just wondering if the AMD would actually be something to rely on when using many different programs and plugins at a time.

So what's your take on AMD multi-core processors?

TRENDING THREADS