Is this a good gaming build for $500

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Basically i'm trying to put together a gaming pc that can run games like crysis 2 and future games to come REALLY well. If anyone has any suggestions on different parts, i don't want to change the Graphics card

Approximate Purchase Date: (In a week or two)

Budget Range: ($550) Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming, overall fast performance)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com)

Country of Origin: (USA)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: Here are the parts i've currently put together, I might get the i7 mobo/processor combo for $200 from a buddy but if that doesn't go through i'm not sure which motherboard processor combo to go with though.

PCparts.png

Err you're supposed to select a resolution, not list all of them. What's your monitors resolution?
http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

As for builds check out my $550 build in mah siggy. Those are few changes I'd make. Course the 6850 can stay. The 550 Ti is just for budgeting purposes.

As for the CPU combo from your friend. Which i7 and which motherboard?

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
im buying a new monitor so I'm not quite sure what resolution it will be yet. and as for the Power supply, what would be a good one to use if i end up getting the i7 combo? (i'll be getting the names of the i7 and mobo shortly) just read the horrible reviews on the PSU i had down, so thats gone

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
the processor should come with a stock heatsink, which will be fine unless you want to overclock. you can always install a heatsink later. also note that the case you have selected will only fit a micro atx, and not a full atx sized mobo. i think you should wait and see if you can get that cpu+mobo from your friend, and take it from there.

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

Yea I've actually just picked out a new case that can fit everything. The only thing I have to check is if the i7 combo has a networking card and sound card on it already. But are all my parts compatible with i7

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
i can't really go higher on price for the PSU without going down a notch on my Video card which i really don't want to do. But i will be getting the names of the i7 combo soon i am speaking with my buddy today. But i have an updated build. The Phenom II X4 is just there if i don't get i7

PCparts2.png

I already have the disk drive BTW

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Ok, I did take a look at that PSU, but I think i have found a better combo. This is my final build. Its $500 flat before rebates so i'm really happy with what i was able to put together. Turns out the i7 is a no go, so i'm going to use i3 instead so in the future i can upgrade to i7. take a look at my cart.

PCbuild.png

So will this build be able to run Crysis 2 well (40-60 FPS) on max settings on let's say 1440x900?

G

Yes they are.. make sure the i7 is LGA 1155!!!

if you can't get that then: go for a intel i3-2100+asus mobo....

btw none come with a network card, you can buy a good one for $25 tho

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
yea i'm going to a tigerdirect near me tmw to pick up the DVD burner and a network card most likely (might just stick with my router). and aznshinobi, i don't think 400w wold be enough.

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Im not doubting don't get me wrong, I just want to be sure about everything. I want to get this right the first time. If you believe 400 is enough I think you would know more then me on the subject so I suppose it's enough

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Do what you want man, but on that PSU, might be ok for a basic rig, ut if you are trying to run a decent video card and i5, I would not run that power supply. I do a lot of shopping at Microcenter, and even the salesmen recommend against Diablotek power supplies. One guy even told me he'd run an Inland Power supply(Microcenter's house brand) before he would use a Diablotek.

Again, do what you like, but I will tell you, if a power supply goes out, especially cheap ones, sometimes they can take out other parts, like your board and chip, and or video card. Do what you want, but personally, I would go with Cooler Master, Corsair, Antec, etc.