Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
building a new gaming pc

cpu: i5 2500K, going to try OC a bit
mobo: gigabyte z68xp-ud4
ram: corsair vengence 8GB 2x4 ddr3 1600 low profile
cpu cooler: CM V8
graphic card: planning on getting 6850 or 6870
case: CM storm enforcer (going to add one more 200 megaflow led fan or 2 more 120 case fans

power supply: ??? need help!

many ppl said dont go cheap on ur power supply

for my specs, i thiknk 650W will be plenty, correct?
so i need a good quality one...........many ppl recommend corsair, antec
i want a modular one...

plz help me with this!

saw a deal(?) on corsair hx650W at 100 bucks

thanks!!!!

Solution

The XFX is superior to the others in performance and efficiency.
They are all semi-modular and good units.
Like i said earlier the XFX is the best deal for what you're getting.
My ranking in order of quality.
1.XFX - Seasonic oem
2.Corsair - Seasonic
3.OZC-Topower

steadywaters

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Corsair HX650W is a quality modular PSU. 650w is definitely enough for your build.

Where are you located? Newegg had a combo deal with $153 after mail-in rebate with Corsair HX650w + 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM.

The combo is now $180 after mail-in rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.761089

If you can sell 8GB for ~$40, you've got a nice deal there. Or, wait to see what pops up around Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

g8mou

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
thx for the suggestions!
i guess i missed a GREAT DEAL RIGHT THERE
the reason why i didnt go for 16GB ram is cuz i dont need that much for gaming
thats why i just ordered the 8gb today

whats a good price on HX650?

For a system running a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card a power supply with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 26 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

Even a 450 Watt power supply unit, like the Corsair CMPSU-450HX semi modular PSU with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 33 Amps and with two 6+2-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors, will work.

It's not the wattage of the power supply that determines whether or not it is sufficient to properly power the system. The most important PSU specification is its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating. If the PSU isn't able to meet this base specification requirement then it's not going to work properly with your system no matter how high the PSU's labelled wattage is.

If you can get a Corsair Professional Series HX650W (CMPSU-650HX) for $100 then definitely buy it since they are usually priced above $115.

The Corsair Professional Series HX650W (CMPSU-650HX) will have enough reserve capacity to allow you to run your system with two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode if you choose to do so in the future.

g8mou

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
does ocz make good quality power supply?
im looking at ocz fatal1ty series 750W....
some said good, some said bad, but which one is it? im on a tight budget here ;(
i bought the V8 cuz i think its cool haha, and ppl said its a good cpu cooler too...so i got it

Only some OCZ models are good.

The OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series (OCZ750FTY) should work fine for your system configuration. Here's a review of that unit by a reputable power supply review site:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-Fatal1ty-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1019

g8mou

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
im kinda stuck among XFX 750W PRO750W XXX Edition, corsair HX 650W, OCZ fatal1ty 650W

all are modular, price not vary by a lot....which performs the best out of them?
which can last me longer?

The Corsair Professional HX650W (CMPSU-650HX) is too expensive for what you get compared to the other two.

The OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series (OCZ750FTY) +12 Volt continuous current rating is 8 Amps less than that of the XFX.

The XFX ProSeries 750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular (P1-750B-NLG9) is the best out of the three you've listed. It has the best electrical performance and the best efficiency.

The XFX is superior to the others in performance and efficiency.
They are all semi-modular and good units.
Like i said earlier the XFX is the best deal for what you're getting.
My ranking in order of quality.
1.XFX - Seasonic oem
2.Corsair - Seasonic
3.OZC-Topower

Solution

g8mou

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
i thought all 3 fall in the category of good quality and performance list provided by eggXpert...

so overall rating, would be xfx > corsair > ocz as for as power supplies quality and performance/?

I don't place any trust in EggXpert.

The rating of xfx > corsair > ocz is only for the three specific models that you were considering.

The ranking will change based on the models you choose to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.