HELP! Its all gone tits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012
Hey.

So today I got my new CPU, Motherboard, GPU and RAM. With a nice big cooler...
Specs:
XFX 7870 2GB
ASUS P8P67 Pro 3.1 Rev
i5 3570k 3.4GHz
8GB Corsair 1600Mhz
850w Corsair
120GB SSD
400 GB + 170 GB HDD

So I put it all together fine with no hiccups or anything.
I started it up with my old hard drives in and new SSD and when I entered the BIOS told it to boot from the old HDD as it had windows 7 64bit on there and I thought it would then load up. I then restarted and the problems begin...
Since then I haven't been able to access my BIOS as my monitor keeps flickering on and off. All the pixels are blue around the 'Starting Windows' logo when I mange to get it to load after i've inserted my Windows 7 CD.
Sometimes when I boot I can't get a picture up on the monitor at all. Other times when I boot with the CD it gets to the point where the CD will come up and there are red and white lines all over the screen that flash on and off. On the motherboard sometimes the red LED is for boot device.
I then tried everything in my old system and had the same problem with all the blue pixels and can't access my BIOS there either. Put my windows CD in and wouldn't load up. I also had the message below when I tried a windows XP CD to see if that would load up:
*'Reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device'
I've tried resetting my CMOS on both boards and still nothing. Monitor works fine as well.
That makes me think that it can't be to do with my graphics card, cpu and motherboard as i'm having the problem with both set ups. So my PSU and HDD are the only two things I can think it could be. But PSU worked fine yesterday evening and is fairly new.
Please if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do would be really appreciated as i'm all out of ideas.
Thanks a lot!
A

Solution
Install windows with just the SSD attached.

To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you...

crimsondivel

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
after reading ur problem a couple a times the solusion would be to back up ur data on another drive, format ur hard drive ,U HAVE TO EREASE THE PARTITIONS , and install a new win, it happened with me once and thats how i solved it

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

Hey thanks for the response. So are you saying I should get a new CD of windows 7 and try installing that?

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

Hey man, thank you so much for the reply. I'm not quite sure how I could back up or format my hard drives though both setups are now completely useable.

crimsondivel

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
u need to reinstall windows ,but u have to format ur hard disk,take ur hdd to a friend and copy ur data to his hdd ,use a software like partition magic to erease ur old partioions ,and make new ones ,install windows and every thing is goinig to be ok

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

So I manged to install windows on my SSD drive as nothing was on there but then after installing windows restarted itself and since then i've had a blank screen after starting windows and can't get any further than that. I don't think reformatting HDD will help as my SSD had nothing on it and my old ones aren't connected now.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Install windows with just the SSD attached.

To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

Solution

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

Hey!
Thanks for that message. Good suggestion.
As i've now managed in install windows from the CD i'm not getting prompted anymore to install windows. I have managed to get to the stage of being asked to press a key to load CD. Did so and now i'm looking a screen flashing on and of with Blue and White blocks everywhere as if the windows page isn't properly loading on screen. So now can't complete what you asked.
Any ideas now? :)

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

still nothing. screen just can't get beyond starting windows.
just tried my old graphics card to see if that was the problem but same thing...

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

Any ideas what could be causing it though?
I'm starting to think its the motherboard. though that still doesn't explain why my other computer isn't working now

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

nope, not really. I've got my laptop at the moment. or could use my sister crappy thing. but i'm afraid i'll mess up here computer to if i plug my HDD in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.