crooksie998

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Symptoms:

- Slowness in applications even to carry out the most basic tasks
- Freezing in applications, again even to do the most simple of things
- Have tried running games which run smoothly and do not freeze
- RAM is runs constantly between 20% and 60% depending on the applications I have open, no maxing out even when freezing occurs
- CPU is running extremely low, around 1%-2% when idle and below 30% when doing things like windows updates etc. again no maxing out when freezing occurs
- PC seems to be running very cool, max I have seen is 40 degrees on the processor

Things tried:
- Updating drivers
- Made sure Windows is up-to-date
- Re-formatted and installed Windows 7 twice now
- Changed SATA port for

I am really running out of ideas now, any advice would be appreciated.

Setup:

- NZXT Phantom Case
- Asrock P67 Pro3 SE Motherboard
- Intel i5 2500k Processor
- Sapphire HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
- Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz RAM
- Corsair 60GB Nova Series 2 SSD
- Corsair A50 CPU Cooler
- Corsair 800W GS Series PSU

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Has this fault occured right from the offset of this system build or did it just appear one day? You mention the 60gb SSD but what second drive do you have installed.? Also how full is the SSD drive? What tweaks if any have you set in the bios on this rig? Also, what type of games you have been playing?

Yeah, I would suspect the SSD. Corsair has been having a lot of problems with their SSD's. Are you running the latest firmware? I'd visit Corsair's forums regarding your SSD and see if there are similar experiences.

crooksie998

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
No secondary Hard Drive as of yet. Problem is not from the offset but seems to appear after a few drivers are installed. It seems OK at the moment again but the problem will probably come back again its really strange. I have not changed a thing in the bios yet. Thanks buzznut I will have a look.

Kattungar

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
i agree ssds have a much higher tendency to malfunction. try contacting the maker or asking some owners of the same product

jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I'm inclined to believe it's the SSD as well. I'd backup, make sure i have the latest firmware, and check the manufacturers website for suggested settings. There are many features in windows that are inappropriate at best, and downright harmful at worst for SSDs.

I'd also do a search for SSD Tweaking, or SSD Optimization, and see if any of the guides you find don't help out.

Suggest you buy the spinning drive that will be your second disk drive. Copy the system over from the SSD to the spinning drive. (Western Digital, etc, have downloadable tools that do this or you can buy a retail Acronis true image). Remove the SSD and run with the spinning drive. Does the system still stutter or is it cleaned up?

(like previous appends, I think things suddenly start working w/o the ssd. I sent my Corsair F120 back. Ended up with Intel 320, which now has known (but no fix) power cycle problem that turns these drives into bricks. None of the drives seems fully mature yet. Making sure that you are firmware current on your drive is an excellent suggestion. I'd clone the drive BEFORE updating the firmware in case it bricks.).