Replacing HD in Dell Latitude CPi?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2005 12:14:27 AM

I have a spare 20 gig fujitsu 2.5" 9.5mm drive that I'd like to use to
replace the 10 gig drive in my Latitude CPi. I'm fairly handy at working
on desktop PC's but I've never opened up a laptop.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to replace the existing drive.

Is this a DIY project?

Best Regards,

Marcel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2005 12:14:28 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:14:27 GMT, M Lee <notmaleeminot@verizon.net>
wrote:

>I have a spare 20 gig fujitsu 2.5" 9.5mm drive that I'd like to use to
>replace the 10 gig drive in my Latitude CPi. I'm fairly handy at working
> on desktop PC's but I've never opened up a laptop.
>
>Can anyone give me any advice on how to replace the existing drive.
>
>Is this a DIY project?

Yes, this is a DIY project for you. Start off by going to the Dell
support site and downloading the Service Manual (in PDF format) for
your system. That gives you good information about how to disassemble
many parts of your system.

Now for a quick summary. Flip the system upside down and remove the
two screws holding the drive tray in the system, and then pull the
drive tray out. Next turn it upside down and remove the 4 small
screws from the bottom of it. Now, if you look at the end with the
connector, there are 2 screws on it. Take those two screw out and
the drive lifts right out of the tray. Now, gently pry the connector
off the drive being careful not to damage it, or the drive pins onto
which it is connected. Carefully seat this connector onto your
replacement drive, and reverse the order of removing screws to put it
all back together.

Once it is all back together, your system should be ready to
re-install the OS. If the system BIOS is significantly old enough,
you may need to upgrade the system BIOS to be able to get the BIOS to
recognize the drive, but that is a relatively simple task too...
August 10, 2005 12:33:52 AM

I believe the layout is the same as the CP. The disk is in a tray and is
very easy to change. I upgraded my CP from 3G to 20G in about 1.5 hours
including cloning the drive.
Terry

"M Lee" <notmaleeminot@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:D 88Ke.1874$Sc.722@trnddc05...
>I have a spare 20 gig fujitsu 2.5" 9.5mm drive that I'd like to use to
>replace the 10 gig drive in my Latitude CPi. I'm fairly handy at working on
>desktop PC's but I've never opened up a laptop.
>
> Can anyone give me any advice on how to replace the existing drive.
>
> Is this a DIY project?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Marcel

a b D Laptop
August 11, 2005 2:39:11 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:14:27 GMT, M Lee <notmaleeminot@verizon.net> wrote:

>I have a spare 20 gig fujitsu 2.5" 9.5mm drive that I'd like to use to
>replace the 10 gig drive in my Latitude CPi. I'm fairly handy at working
> on desktop PC's but I've never opened up a laptop.
>
>Can anyone give me any advice on how to replace the existing drive.
>
>Is this a DIY project?

Yes. I put a 40 gig HD into my Dell Latitude CPi.
Access is via a cover on the bottom of the computer. Its very easy.

>Best Regards,
>
>Marcel

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2005 2:40:51 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:31:40 -0500, Jerry Bloomfield <jbloomfi@SheltieLovers.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:14:27 GMT, M Lee <notmaleeminot@verizon.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I have a spare 20 gig fujitsu 2.5" 9.5mm drive that I'd like to use to
>>replace the 10 gig drive in my Latitude CPi. I'm fairly handy at working
>> on desktop PC's but I've never opened up a laptop.
>>
>>Can anyone give me any advice on how to replace the existing drive.
>>
>>Is this a DIY project?
>
>Yes, this is a DIY project for you. Start off by going to the Dell
>support site and downloading the Service Manual (in PDF format) for
>your system. That gives you good information about how to disassemble
>many parts of your system.
>
>Now for a quick summary. Flip the system upside down and remove the
>two screws holding the drive tray in the system, and then pull the
>drive tray out. Next turn it upside down and remove the 4 small
>screws from the bottom of it. Now, if you look at the end with the
>connector, there are 2 screws on it. Take those two screw out and
>the drive lifts right out of the tray. Now, gently pry the connector
>off the drive being careful not to damage it, or the drive pins onto
>which it is connected. Carefully seat this connector onto your
>replacement drive, and reverse the order of removing screws to put it
>all back together.
>
>Once it is all back together, your system should be ready to
>re-install the OS. If the system BIOS is significantly old enough,
>you may need to upgrade the system BIOS to be able to get the BIOS to
>recognize the drive, but that is a relatively simple task too...

I used an overlay to install a 40 gig drive into my Dell Latitude CPi.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2005 2:40:52 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:40:51 +1000, Barry OGrady
<atheist.xxx@gmail.com> wrote:

>I used an overlay to install a 40 gig drive into my Dell Latitude CPi.

I know that a CPiD 300XT with the latest BIOS would support at least a
40GB drive without needing any overlay software. Personally, I would
rather not use the overlay software if it wasn't necessary...

Glad you got it working though.
!