New build system : Strange CD drive Problem - PCrestarts

manan

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hi guys,

Some of the forums guys helps me last time for my old system, but at the end I decided to dump that system.

This is the config of new build PC. (Assembled yesterday by me, Its far my parents so its low end system)

Config:

I-ball cabinet
Crosair RAM - 2gb (1 dimm, 1333Mhz)
Mobo: Asus: P5G41T-MLX (G41 chipset)
Processor: E5700 (3 Ghz dual core)
SMPS: CX430 (Crosair 430 Watt)

HDD: ST340015A [40 GB Segate] (used from old system)
CD Drive: LG GCE 8526B (used from old system)

Information: My HDD and CD drive is old one so both are IDE connector, BUT my Motherboard has only single IDE connector.

So I used HDD as a master and CD drive as a slave on same IDE port and BIOS recognized perfectly which is master and which is slave.

Problem: When I start the system (CD drive with CD inserted) then its starts normally and works perfectly as long I can use.

When i try to start my system (CD drive without CD inserted ) then after POST its will restart again and again never reached at welcome screen.

When I start the system (with CD tray open) then also I works perfectly.

So problem of restart only When CD tray in and its without CD.

I connected the slave jumper on CD drive correctly.

Obervation: I tried to start system with CD drive and CD tray open and after computer starts normally then I close the CD tray without CD drive and it will restart as soon as CD tray gets in without CD.

Its strange problem for me, Why such behavior of CD drive. I am sure 430 Watt power supply is more than sufficient for this config.

MY CD Drive model is LG - GCE 8526B

Attention:
________

On this CD d rive there is marked Analog and Digital Audio, In my old system this CD drive used Analog Audio ( R G L) .

This Analog Audio (R G L) is connected with wire on old MOBO. But as in new MOBO that Analog Audio port is not there So I kept this unconnected. This connection is used for Audio only which we hear from CD directly.
So this connection does the cause of this problem I suppose.

Kindly help me out from this strange problem, If any more info needed So tell me.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I would suggest that the drive is a very old one. Make sure the hard disk is set to master with slave present and the cd drive to slave, if the problem persists, replace the cd/rw as this is very old by todays standards and is the quickest to replace..

remove the optical from the bus and reboot

if this works then its a compatibility issue - maybe update the firmware on the cdrw if that dont work then time for a new drive

manan

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
AS you said : "Make sure the hard disk is set to master with slave present and the cd drive to slave "

you mean : HDD jumper seting this one "Master with non ATA-compatible slave"

and CD rom is set to slave

If yes I already tested this. But same prob.

I also tested on cable select mode. Grey one goes to CD and black goes to HDD, Blue is connected on mobo.

Again same problem.

Will see if any Firmware update available.

manan

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't think any firmware update is available.

PC shuts down immediately if the cd tray without cd inserted.

PC shut down after few minutes if CD tray with cd inserted.

PC works perfectly when the cd tray is out :D without any problems.

manan

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I tried using some other SMPS then system working fine.

I wonder why its happening on brand new SMPS of Crosair :O

May be its power supply defect but I wonder if changed same power supply of crosair if prob again persitt ?

Is anyone here suing ATA drive using Crosair SMPS.

manan

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
BTW guys I changed SMPS to cooler master extreme 500W. Now system works fines. Its was the SMPS problem, I think may be manufacturing defect (short circuiting).

Thanks.