Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Evga GTX 580 1.5 GB superclocked vs 3GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 10, 2011 6:21:14 AM

Hello,first time hear, even though I read hear a lot.

I have the evga GTX580 superclocked and it has 1.5 GB, I can trade it in for the same price for an evga GTX 580 3.0 GB at regular speed.

There is a sale going on, and I bought it 2 weeks ago, now it dropped but I paid when it was $100 extra and now I can get the 3.0 GB
I know one of the reasons for more memory is for multiple screens, which I am thinking of doing as I heavily use Maya and Zbrush and multiple views in Maya eases workflow.

The question here is even if I am not doing it though, is it worth it? It was a mere ~20mhz difference in speed.

Is it worth switching out in any of the 2 cases? Are those speeds even worth not having another 1.5GB?
What is better for Gaming & Animation? Which benefits more, or does it even matter?

Best solution

June 10, 2011 6:35:16 AM

If you are using a higher resolution monitor, the extra vram will help you far more than the extra 20mhz. I would do the trade if it was at no extra cost to yourself.
June 10, 2011 12:56:19 PM

Nothin says you cant return it, get the 3GB card and overclock that to give you the same speeds as the "superclocked" card.

20mhz? really? The word "super" isn't very super anymore
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 10, 2011 1:07:36 PM

If you can trade it in for the 3G version for free then I don't see why not.
20mhz is not a serious O.C. at all and hardly anything to take into consideration.
June 10, 2011 7:40:01 PM

arc00ta said:
If you are using a higher resolution monitor, the extra vram will help you far more than the extra 20mhz. I would do the trade if it was at no extra cost to yourself.

Well, I have a 27" monitor hooked to it, and I am going to hookup another 22"; yes no extra cost which is fantastic!

phishy714 said:
Nothin says you cant return it, get the 3GB card and overclock that to give you the same speeds as the "superclocked" card.

20mhz? really? The word "super" isn't very super anymore

Indeed man, I wonder why they called it "Super", they have 3 speeds of factory overclocking, the best one is FTW.
There are cards faster with no overclocking, I always preferred MSI but I can't find any without resorting to online.

purple stank said:
If you can trade it in for the 3G version for free then I don't see why not.
20mhz is not a serious O.C. at all and hardly anything to take into consideration.

Yep, exactly what I'm thinking, I needed more opinions because I am playing around with $580 LMAO

Thank you for the fast replies people! :D 
a b Î Nvidia
June 10, 2011 7:41:48 PM

So you'll get the 3G version then?
June 20, 2011 7:06:51 PM

Best answer selected by Mortanious.
June 20, 2011 7:20:25 PM

Here is what I did.
I called EVGA themselves and talked to their tech support in depth for a while.

Downloaded GPU-Z to monitor RAM and GPU usage, btw they recommended that software; and I used Maya and rendered, Zbrush and rendered, Crysis II, Witcher II, and Divinity II.

Before I continue, yes he did say that more RAM is for larger monitors and nVidia 3D Vision, and that the 194.2 G bandwidth versus 192.2 and the 20mhz difference in
Core Clock account for 2-4 fps; which is kind of little.

1- Maya and Zbrush while rendering maxed at 300MB
2- Crysis II maxed at 662
3- Witcher 2 maxed at 643
4- Divinity 2, amazing game but poorly programmed, used 800MB

I was alt+tab-ing between Crysis II and Witcher 2 at the same time maxing at 679MB

Divinity II and Firefox at the same time, for some reason Firefox added 100MB of VGA RAM usage which I thought was weird, but what the hell.

The EVGA tech said that if I hit 1.2GB then I should go ahead and get the other one but seeing at what I used it for most on my 27" ViewSonic at 1080p I don't have to.

Also called Microcenter and it was $80 difference so, I just bit my tongue and didn't switch it, because I technically did not need it.

But the guy did say that if I get the 3GB and overclocked it and burned it, if it was under warranty then no problem.

So with all this at hand, if anyone else encounters my dilemma:
1- Download GPU-Z and monitor your card
2- If you want to overclock and get those 2-4fps that are the "super-clocking", go ahead and switch out your card.
!