Sign in with
Your question

IT guy at wit's end here... Laptop component problem.

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 11, 2011 7:04:34 PM

Greetings, TH forums :) 

I run a small PC repair shop near Boston. I have a laptop which I recieved in exchange for short work (as-is, as described).

It's a Dell N5010, with a Core i3 370, 4GB DDR3 and a spare HDD and SATA optical.

Originally suffering from liquid damage (would not POST), I opened it up, cleaned it out, and it seemed to be working.

It will not FAIL Memtest (Tested for 48+hrs), it will Mersenne Prime all week long without issues. After installing Windows 7, the video randomly glitches (horizontal noise, certainly video hardware related, not LCD), and it also randomly BSODs, but rarely.

After installing Windows 8 Preview, it still randomly :'( -SODs, citing random drivers (NDIS, or nothing, or something else random).

I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I can fix- The power curcuitry was corroded (battery area) but nothing else, and it seems to be up and running.

Any ideas? I'm more than comfortable taking chips off the board (removing faulty components, etc), or just swapping out the board- I just need to know if it's the motherboard or the CPU, where I was having video errors, among other things.

More about : guy wit end laptop component problem

a b D Laptop
November 25, 2011 12:16:09 AM

It does sound like the graphics chip took some damage, huh? Works OK for text and DOS screen display, but can't take the stress of HD graphics that the O.S. demands.
m
l
December 2, 2011 11:34:39 AM

Thanks for the reply, I gave this thread a few days and then let it lapse- I'm not a regular here :) 

Anyways, I tested this with another (known good) processor- The board acts the same way, so it looks like I'll be needing a new one.
m
l
!