Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-Z68XP-UD3 Rev 1.3 Failed BIOS Update Help

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2012 6:23:54 AM

Tom's Community,

Tonight I was trying to update my desktop to the new UEFI u1g BIOS. To do so I had to flash the BIOS from Windows DOS. So I downloaded the HP USB DOS Creation Tool (don't remember the exact name) and put the files from the Gigabyte website on the drive. I booted the drive and the update went from there.

This is where I did soemthing wrong and am now growing very concerned. The flash was successful. The program prompted me to "Turn off the system and unplug the power to complete the BIOS installation." The power button on my case was not working so I turned off the power at my power supply then unplugged the computer. When I plugged it back in and turned back on my computer nothing happened. The computer won't power on. I am not freaking out yet but as you can imagine I am growing concerned. What did I do wrong? Is there a way to fix this? Have I bricked my motherboard? Please help me.

Thanks,

Teleutias

Best solution

a c 431 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 6:50:40 AM

your mb has a back up bios..if you clear the cmos it may boot to the back up bios.
sounds like you turned the pc off too soon.
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0
August 12, 2012 1:57:03 PM

smorizio said:
your mb has a back up bios..if you clear the cmos it may boot to the back up bios.
sounds like you turned the pc off too soon.
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0

Thanks for the reply. I tested the psu with a paper clip test just to make sure it wasn't the psu. I tried clearing the CMOS and removing the CMOS battery. The problem is that nothing is booting. There isn't even any power going to the components attached to the motherboard, so it has no chance to switch to the back up BIOS.

I think I might have to RMA the board. It is still under the warranty. BIOS update failure aren't covered are they?
a c 431 V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 1:17:07 AM

that up to the vendor if they want to cover it. if a power supply is working fine it should power on when the case on switch is presses. i would see if someone has another one to test your system.
!