ALPA AWUSO036H SET UP PROBLEMS

SUNNY DAZE

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Hello,
I HAVE A NEW DELL INSPIRON 15, WINDOWS 7 AND TRIED TO INSTALL THE ALFA. IT IS ON THE COMPUTER, BUT CANNOT GET WIFI CONNECTION. I'M NOT REAL TECHY, SO DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START

It seems to use a pretty standard rtl8187 driver but why would you wish to use a dongle in preference to the built-in chip Dell put in?[/#000ff]

SUNNY DAZE

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

I need the extra distance range when using on boat at various marinas. Often wifi is provided service but has limited range. This is supposed to give more than 4X the reception than the built in unit.

I can only imagine how many masts, radar dishes and other interferences between your boat and the wireless router. Are you seeing any networks at all? It might help to reduce confusion if you switch off the inbuilt wireless device. One thing is certain - you can cling on to a connection you already have even if you move further from the base but finding that connection form a distance is a different matter so strat off as close as you can to get it all set up properly. [/#000ff]

SUNNY DAZE

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice. Especially re: capturing the connection before moving away from it. Never would have thought of that. Also of disabling my internal wifi.
I've heard of folks getting a connection 6-8 miles over open water, will have to try it to see.
Thanks again.