Sign in with
Your question

System Crashing And NO SAFE MODE!!

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2011 7:58:54 PM

Hello Experts,

I'm having a serious problem considering my hardware (or software).

So I upgraded my PC from the crappy nVidia 7300LE and Pentium IV 3.0 Ghz to an AMD 6570 (Powercolor if it makes a difference) and Intel Pentium Dual Core E5700 3.0 Ghz.

I got the case back and started it and it worked like a charm (although there was a speed slow-down occurrence which I assumed it was the weakness of the E5700.. Although it was sometimes slower than the Old Pentium IV)

Anyways, I was gaming for 2 days, maxing games out and downloading new games.. It was working normally aside from the occasionally slowing down that occurred (specially in gaming).. Until today..

I promised my little brother that I'll get him the COD Black Ops to play on the new rig, so I downloaded and installed it and then I downloaded AMD Overdrive thinking that it may fix the slow-downs..

Before opening overdrive, I started Black Ops to test it and there's where the problem started..

The game was lagging like hell (It even turned into a slide show at some points) so I thought lowering the graphics would fix the problem.. And it didn't..

And so, frustrated, I closed the game.. With the lag increasing while browsing My Computer I thought of trying Overdrive before restarting the system.. I opened Overdrive, and it started analyzing my system and then BAM, The screen turned blue and then turned into a mix of colors and crashed then restarted..

Now, usually I would open the safe mode, But my keyboard and mouse were infunctioning during the boot up (were never like this before) and returned normal when windows loaded up.. Less than 10 seconds.. It crashed again leaving me no time for system restore or ending and processes o.O

Now I don't know whether this is a software problem (Overdrive, Black Ops or 10.8 Catalyst, which I installed through windows updates) or a problem with the hardware (The new GPU and CPU)

My PSU is 400w (Famous Brand) which "Should" be sufficient for a low end card (Specially from AMD) and the old Dual Core..

I'm confused.. What to do?
a c 140 ) Power supply
November 23, 2011 10:55:08 PM

It sounds like you have Registry errors. First thing I'd do (if you can get into Windows) is download and run CCleaner. Do the Clean and Registry both. Reboot. Defrag.
Also, an HD 6570 is pretty weak for those kind of games unless you're playing at 1440x900 or less.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Btw, How'd you go from a Pentium4 to a dual core on the same motherboard? Or did you put in a new board?
m
l
December 25, 2011 3:13:08 PM

clutchc said:
It sounds like you have Registry errors. First thing I'd do (if you can get into Windows) is download and run CCleaner. Do the Clean and Registry both. Reboot. Defrag.
Also, an HD 6570 is pretty weak for those kind of games unless you're playing at 1440x900 or less.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Btw, How'd you go from a Pentium4 to a dual core on the same motherboard? Or did you put in a new board?

Thanks! I tried it before it crashed and it worked flawlessly :) 

My Motherboard supports up to Core 2 Duo, So I guess the Pentium Dual Core would work because the Core 2 Duo is better technology :) 

Don't remember the Motherboard's name though :) 
m
l
a c 140 ) Power supply
December 25, 2011 4:39:42 PM

Glad to hear you are back in business.
Btw, I forgot that the Pentium 4 name also included the later Pentium D (dual core) that used the 775 socket. I was thinking the Pentium 4s were all single core processors that used earlier sockets. My bad.
m
l
Related resources
!