RipjawsX or RipjawsZ for futureproofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezzta667

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hey Guys,

I'm about to buy some memory. There's the RipjawsX and RipjawsZ. They're the same in every way, even the price. I have an Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3.

From what I've gathered, the RipjawsZ is quad channel, the RipjawsX is dual channel.

If, there is a chance I will upgrade my motherboard (most likely for more SATA ports), would I be better off getting the RipjawsZ so I could utilise the "quad channel" in future?

Thanks a lot.

Solution
Quad channel is dependent on the mobo and CPU. Not on the RAM.

4 dual channel RAM sticks will run as quad channel, if used in the quad mobo with CPU that supports the quad channel.

Just like 4x4GB RAM is in dual channel in Z68, it will become quad channel in x79 chipset.
Quad channel is dependent on the mobo and CPU. Not on the RAM.

4 dual channel RAM sticks will run as quad channel, if used in the quad mobo with CPU that supports the quad channel.

Just like 4x4GB RAM is in dual channel in Z68, it will become quad channel in x79 chipset.

Solution
Both RAM's are great. Get the one that u like more.

I like the Z series.

RipjawsZ2.jpg

Hmm...the Dual vs Quad Channel optimization is more about CAS Timings and Voltage adjustments encoded in the RAM. Success is actually more reversed, Quad works fine in Dual Channel, but visa-versa it can be a problem.

There's no 'future proofing' RAM, like DDR and DDR2, DDR3 is nearing it's end for DDR4.

Status
Not open for further replies.