Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Phenom x4 955 95w runs at 800Mhz???

Last response: in CPUs
November 12, 2011 12:02:23 AM

This is mostly a continuation of a previous thread I wrote but now regarding a different issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300607-30-please-upgr...

Anyway, here I am now with my processor only showing 800Mhz x4 in CPU-z. I've tried running Prime95 to see if it increases and it doesn't. Windows -> control panel -> system shows it running at 3.22GHz which is what it's suppose to run. I've gone to the BIOS and disabled AMD cool-n-quiet and the system freezes with a black screen after windows screen. I've tried to boost the CPU speed in BIOS from x4 to x8 (to eventually work my way up to x16) and it also freezes with black screen after windows screen. I've even tried x5 just and same thing. Black screen after windows.

I've been accepted to Star Wars: The Old Republic beta this weekend and I'm trying to get my system finished so that I can relax and play and it's just turning into a whole bunch of frustration. :fou: 

Does anyone have any advice?
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2011 12:29:18 AM

Check your temps!
Score
November 12, 2011 12:53:35 AM

I'm a bit of a noob, so I'm not sure what "check your temps" means whooleo, but my CPU temp never gets over 24 deg F.

If you look on the Gigabyte website 384-Bit it says that the phenom x4 955 (95w) is supported by that motherboard with the most recent BIOS (FHL) which is what I have. Am I missing something? I'm thinking about flashing my BIOS down one level but I don't want to do that just yet.

Regarding the HT 3.0 to HT 1.0... are you saying that has an affect on CPU speed? They state the frequency will not be impacted. That's why I spent $135 on that chip. I'm coming to the realization that possibly the CPU is "supported" by my motherboard but only at 800MHz.

Is this possibly what Gigabyte meant?
Score
Related resources
November 12, 2011 12:56:11 AM

And just to clarify things, I do have the phenom x4 955 95w. It was a pain to find one because it's only OEM, but it was the highest chip my mobo supported. And I paid dearly for it. So I'm praying that I didn't overlook something.
Score
November 12, 2011 1:08:40 AM

So 384-Bit, I guess you are saying that since I couldn't do any changes in the BIOS such as c&q and bumping the multi - that's a definitive sign that the motherboard doesn't support the CPU.

If that's the case then that SUCKS! :fou: 

Should I write Gigabyte an email or something??? Their website said it was supported.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2011 1:11:52 AM

Seems like it's not supported because I have a AM2+ motherboard with an Athlon II X2 (socket AM3) and the board only supports HT 1.0 thus the HT speed is 800MHz but the actual CPU clock is the normal 3GHz.
Score
November 12, 2011 1:19:14 AM

Quote:
Give them a call and also reflash your bios.

I'm going to try to flash the last most up to date BIOS and see if that works.

If that doesn't work, I could go back one and see if that helps or will that just make my problems worst?
Score
November 12, 2011 1:39:44 AM

I just flashed the most recent BIOS and no change. Same problem. I noticed that one was a beta so I just went ahead and downgraded one level to see if that worked. And it didn't.

Guess I'm going to call Gigabyte in the morning. Don't think downgrading BIOS will have any + affects from this point on.

Thanks for all the help.
Score
November 12, 2011 3:25:18 AM

knightbringr said:
I just flashed the most recent BIOS and no change. Same problem. I noticed that one was a beta so I just went ahead and downgraded one level to see if that worked. And it didn't.

Guess I'm going to call Gigabyte in the morning. Don't think downgrading BIOS will have any + affects from this point on.

Thanks for all the help.

AM3+ mobos are cheap.

EDIT:

the DDR3 is even cheaper.

Score
December 1, 2011 2:10:06 PM

Best answer selected by knightbringr.
Score
!