Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 10, 2011 5:43:55 PM

So I've been looking into this for a while, mainly through google. But anyways I've been out of the loop when it comes to computers lately and I'm trying to understand all this stuff again, but this time with Laptops.

Anyways, I have a Radeon HD 4250 Mobile and it's ok. I honestly have zero complaints so far and I'm even able to play Oblivion without any delays or stuttering. But I have to ask a few questions in regards to it:

1) What is hypermemory? Is it simply another gimmick or will upgrading the CPU and RAM actually improve graphics?

2) Everywhere I look on my PC it says that the chip has 256MB VRAM. Is this good or is this an overstatement? Will it simply fail in comparison to games that demand 256MB?

3) (addition to the first question) Will upgrading my system RAM improve graphics? I read somewhere that increasing the amount of system ram will dramatically effect graphics on my PC. Currently it sits at 1405MB hypermemory and I have 3GB DDR3 Ram. My laptop will support 8GB. Will that make any difference?

4) (addition to the first question) On the same note, I also read somewhere that upgrading the CPU will improve system graphics. I've already upgraded from the AMD V120 to the Athlon II X2 @2.1GHz but I was wondering if going quad core will make a difference.

Thanks in advance!

More about : ati mobility radeon 4250 graphics

Best solution

June 10, 2011 6:35:21 PM

In answer to your questions:

Quote:
1) What is hypermemory? Is it simply another gimmick or will upgrading the CPU and RAM actually improve graphics?

Hypermemory (and for NVidia TurboCache) is a technology that "borrows" system memory and uses it for graphics card functions.

Quote:
2) Everywhere I look on my PC it says that the chip has 256MB VRAM. Is this good or is this an overstatement? Will it simply fail in comparison to games that demand 256MB?

That's probably about standard for a mobile graphics card. This is also part of the reason ATI and NVidia came up with Hypermemory/TurboCache. It's a way to add memory to the graphic functions without adding more memory chips to the graphic chipset (and more heat to the laptop).

Quote:
3) (addition to the first question) Will upgrading my system RAM improve graphics? I read somewhere that increasing the amount of system ram will dramatically effect graphics on my PC. Currently it sits at 1405MB hypermemory and I have 3GB DDR3 Ram. My laptop will support 8GB. Will that make any difference?

This depends on what you use your laptop for. Graphic intensive programs (like Oblivion) will require more graphic memory. The more it needs, the more is borrowed from your system memory. I am a bit confused about the amount of memory you have installed. You state 3GB. It that because you have a 1GB module and a 2GB module installed, or is it because you have 2x2GB modules installed, but windows is only reporting 3GB? If it's the former and your system really prefers running in dual-channel mode for memory (probably), upgrade your RAM to 2x2GB and call it a day. If it's the latter, nevermind. You're all set.

Quote:
4) (addition to the first question) On the same note, I also read somewhere that upgrading the CPU will improve system graphics. I've already upgraded from the AMD V120 to the Athlon II X2 @2.1GHz but I was wondering if going quad core will make a difference.

Upgrading to a faster CPU generally means the graphics card doesn't have to wait as long for the CPU to send/receive it's instructions. Only if the graphics card is held up (bottlenecked) by the CPU, should you consider upgrading the CPU.

Hope this helps some!

-Wolf sends
June 10, 2011 9:31:35 PM

Best answer selected by SnowzSan.
m
l
June 11, 2011 12:44:54 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm glad I didn't bother ordering the Phenom II. My Athlon II seems good enough.
m
l
!