New computer from scratch

neighborbill

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I built a new computer from scratch. Using P8Z68-V pro ASUS MOBO. i7 itel CPU memory etc... I installed a ssd and an hdd and one dvd. After loading windows 7 on the ssd, everything seemed good. But, when i look at my computer, I don't see the hdd and i can't access the internet. I'm using a four port router that is working with everything else.
How do I get back into the BIOS to see what's going on in there and any other ideas welcomed. I'm not an expert, but I've never had these kind of problems in the past.

Bill

neighborbill

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
The Hdd came bare with no disc. I've never used Sata before the last one I built was Pata (IDE) master and slave routine.
I went into the Bios and I see the drive there. When Windows boots i can find the Hdd there too, but it doesn't show up in "my computer" only the SSD and dvd.

The mobo has the ethernet connection. I think that is where my problem is. The DVD that came with the MOBO does show a menu like the book says. I am not sure that the dirver for the NIC is even loaded.

neighborbill

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
In addition, the router is running three other connections just fine. when I plug the new computer into the router the router light comes on recognizes that something is connected. at the mobo i get a green light and data. But still no connection with the outside.

As branden stated, you must initialize the drive before it will show up in "my computer" Use disk management to perform the initialization.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
so the answers to my questions are "no" and "no"?

right click "computer", select "manage". in left pane expand "storage" and highlight "disk management". an initialization wizard will propably popup, follow the steps.

the NIC/LAN driver can be installed from the support disc. put it in and you should easily find an install item called something like "install LAN driver". click it.

neighborbill

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Thanks a lot. I had a glass of wine and tried again using your suggestions and it worked and what's more my headache is gone.

Bill