Upgrade to 1100t or i5-2500k

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkieNz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi guys,
I currently have a AMD x2 550 and looking to upgrade. Which one is best for gaming and value? (as I would need a new motherboard for the i5.)

Thanks

Solution
What CPU is that exactly? A Phenom ii x2 550?

If your CPU is on the AM3 socket then upgrading to a Phenom ii x4 955 is probably the best value for you.You wouldn't have to upgrade the mobo.If your just gaming theirs no point in a 6 core since their's very few games that utilize more than 4 cores.
What CPU is that exactly? A Phenom ii x2 550?

If your CPU is on the AM3 socket then upgrading to a Phenom ii x4 955 is probably the best value for you.You wouldn't have to upgrade the mobo.If your just gaming theirs no point in a 6 core since their's very few games that utilize more than 4 cores.

Solution

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
+1 on the phenom 955 if you're looking to upgrade on the cheap, if all you're doing is gaming a hex core will be a waste of cash. maybe take that cash saved & invest in some graphics muscle? i5-2500k would be awesome, but budget will have to be alot higher for cpu + associated parts you'll have to replace. yes 955 is looking abit dated by comparison to the latest top end intel parts, but it still games fine & overclocks nicely :) personally i'm just holding out til ivy bridge comes out in a few months ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.