Anyone is playing Resident Evil 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Just wanted some opinions from gamers who are playing it right now? How is
it? Is the game worth the hype?

Jason

Cool game. I posted my review at http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Jason" <bluebook@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Just wanted some opinions from gamers who are playing it right now? How is
> it? Is the game worth the hype?
>
> Jason

it rocks.
they addressed all the annoying control issues
the arms dealer is a great addition
sniping is an even better one
saving isn't as arduous as it was previously
there's none of that waiting around for doors to open
there's more collecting, which makes killing the villagers more
worthwhile than just saving your life.

on the negative side, the music isn't as good as in RE0
and the graphics lost a little, since it's pretty much a cross between a
TPS and an FPS, so there's a lot more movement.

it's still challenging and scary too - watch out for those chainsaws

Jason wrote:
> Just wanted some opinions from gamers who are playing it right now? How is
> it? Is the game worth the hype?
>
> Jason

"Jason" <bluebook@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Just wanted some opinions from gamers who are playing it right now? How is
> it? Is the game worth the hype?
>
> Jason

I'm liking it, and I generally hate survival horror games. Finally got a
chance to start playing it tonight. It is fun. The control scheme is still
not perfect, but it's head and shoulders above previous incarnations of this
game. The fixed perspective behind the player makes a huge difference. A
great update. Not being able to move while fighting will drive a lot of
people crazy (especially those of us used to playing FPS and doing a lot of
our firing while backpedaling or strafing), although you get used to it.

I like that they just decided to screw realism and put a laser-sight on
every gun. It works better than a cross-hair in a game like this. The
context-sensitive "A" button use is really well implemented also.

The graphics are sweet. I am playing on a Sony HD set, and it looks really
really good. I have a 5.1 setup, and the sound in this game is creepy as
hell.

My favourite thing so far is the very nice way that female villagers walk
around with no head for a few seconds after you blow it off with the
shotgun.

I also really like the grenades (I lead a big whack of not-zombies up a
narrow space between two fences and let loose with one of these - took out 5
or 6 of them all at once).

The first time I met up with a guy who had a chainsaw, I actually got to see
my own head get chainsawed off and fall to the ground before the "You Are
Dead" message came on the screen. Pretty cool stuff. :)

I think it's going to be a long, scary and fun weekend...

Scream

"Jason" <bluebook@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:ebGFd.32672$b64.1042451@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Just wanted some opinions from gamers who are playing it right now? How is
> it? Is the game worth the hype?

Yes. I had given up on the series but this incarnation has brought me back.
Probably one of the best games I've played in a long time.

>"Jason" <bluebook@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Just wanted some opinions from gamers who are playing it right now? How is
>> it? Is the game worth the hype?
>

>Yes. I had given up on the series but this incarnation has brought me back.
>Probably one of the best games I've played in a long time.

I gotta delurk and agree. I'm lovin this game! The control scheme has changed
for the better and the gameplay is awesome.

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Howdy!

This is definitely one of the better games we've played in some time (we =
me and the wifey). Big fans of the genre - in fact, knowing that the RE
license was going Nintendo exlusive is what drove us to buy a GC in the
first place (plus Eternal Darkness, one of my top 10 of all times).

The pacing and difficulty seem just perfect - we're not like these kids who
finish these games in one sitting, without a single restart. It's really
tough to supply a challenge, but keep it from being frustrating.

One thing I like is once you've figured out the "secret" to some of the
battles, it's not too tough - unlike some games that require 15 minutes of
the same pattern, over and over- hell, I usually just run out of steam and
make a mistake.

The control seems much tighter - I agree with some reviewers about a lock
or strafe control (would seem simple to implement). That would make things
much easier.

Save system, huge improvement - pretty decent number of save points plus
the restart from checkpoint is nice, adds some interim start points between
typewriters while your playing.

The money/trader system works out good too - gives you some control over
your supplies - from a storyline, it's a little goofy (why the hell are
these guys standing around selling stuff and running shooting arcades :^)
but hey it works. Like someone mentioned, the stuff that gets dropped by
the freaks make killing every one valuable, so vs. running, it's made it
much more fun to smoke everything in sight!

I like the weapon system with the flexibility of upgrade a few alot, having
a bunch of different weapons, etc. Ammo seems reasonably plentiful - had a
couple of tight spots where it got a little low, but you can always
backtrack and see what you might have missed. Love the sniper rifle+scope
- gave the same a little "covert ops" type feel, plus there's nothing like
a headshot from 300 yards away on some guy standing around chanting. What
did someone call them? Not-Zombies (funny!)

Graphics and sound are awesome (pretty decent voice acting relative to
other games). We're running a big Sony LCD in 480p with the game - it's
got 3 different "zoom" modes, so we found one that gives it a nice,
distortion free 16:9 without losing any screen or menus.

Some of the modeling and design is really amazing - tons of detail in the
castle for instance (the clocktower is amazing too). The game runs at a
perfect framerate - never noticed any kind of slowdown (just shows how
strong the GC is, even though it was never marketed on specs). I agree
that a native widescreen would have been a little better and even more
resolution (though I guess the GC only supports 480p in hardware - starting
to get spoiled after watching the playoff games this past weekend on HD720p
and HD1080i both in 16:9)

The extra element to the game dealing with the chicky is pretty clever too
(a reviewer compared it to ICO - another game I'd highly recommend) - while
most of the puzzles requiring both players are pretty simple, it adds a
nice bit of tension to the game.

The big question will be if the end disappoints - like so many movies,
games have a hard time with fulfilling conclusions. I can't believe the
games that had excellent storylines, beautiful graphics, and it ends with a
silly-hard boss battle and 5 seconds of video. (Beyond Good and Evil had
the most incredibly disappointing ending ever considering how awesome it
was _prior_ the very end...)

While we really like the Horror/Survival type stuff, I'd say this is a
great game for anyone who likes an immersive gaming experience - action,
adventure, FPS, etc., don't get put off by the monsters :^)

DT

drjohnxx@aol.com (Dr JOHN XX) wrote in

DT <dt@___.com> writes:
> While we really like the Horror/Survival type stuff, I'd say this is a
> great game for anyone who likes an immersive gaming experience - action,
> adventure, FPS, etc., don't get put off by the monsters :^)

The genre is not usually my thing (I like sci-fi games, esp. metroid prime),
but I rented it and after just 5 minutes I was hooked. I might even buy it.

The style and immersion experience are perfect. My only problem is that I am
just coming in off of playing Metroid Prime 2, and am used to the instantaneous
moving abilities of Samus.

My instinctive reaction upon being swarmed by villagers is to morph, power
bomb, and come out dashing and strafing :).

I have never really appreciated till now just how much firepower Samus is
capable of wielding. Spoils me really. A pistol feels so pitiful in
comparison.

Mind you, the situation in RE4 is much more realistic and perfectly adds to
a delicious feeling of dread. You never are quite sure you can make it.

My only gripe is that I wish Leon could duck. Real humans can do that,
especially when they are about to take a pitchfork in the face.

--
Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
The Rhythm has control.

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Howdy!

Yeah, there's a little response delay, that's usually associated with
some kind of "realism" (like loading, recovering after firing). It makes
the tactic of letting things get up close a little tricky. There's a few
dodge/duck type elements in RE:4, but they're kind of "hard wired"
reaction type puzzles. Hmm, where I'd put all other elements of the game
at a 9.5/10, I'd say the control is still the weakest part - much better,
and still *good*, but not spectacular (call it a 8-8.5/10)

FWIW, I found the best sort of tactical upgrade you can do is re-load
speed. Since there's a non-stop supply of 9mm handgun type ammo, get one
of those really upgraded. I think our fire/reload is so fast on a couple
of guns, that the reload time is effectively the same as the rate-of-
fire! Helps in those tight moments where the reload delay means a
pitchfork in the head :^)

Metriod is a beautiful game - we didn't get the 2nd one yet, but had a
lot of fun with #1. I found the story wasn't quite as engaging as the RE
stuff, but that's probably more of a subject matter preference.

The funny thing is Metriod seems to be missing the run-n-gun control as
well (unless that changed in #2 and I didn't notice it, played my B-in-
L's for like 20 minutes).

Seeya!

DT

Ray Blaak <rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net> wrote in

DT <dt@___.com> writes:
> The funny thing is Metriod seems to be missing the run-n-gun control as
> well (unless that changed in #2 and I didn't notice it, played my B-in-
> L's for like 20 minutes).

If you mean that you cannot look around (and shoot) and run at the same time,
then no, MP2 as not changed. As Retro keeps saying, it's not a first person
shooter.

The way shooting and moving tends to be done is to lock on the target and jump
"around" it, repeatedly firing. This system works well in the context of the
MP series.

I find that RE4 has the same limitations but without the jump ability, which
makes things quite a bit tougher. You would think that having a laser sight
lends itself better to the standard FPS style. I wonder if a control system
like Timesplitters' would work well.

I guess for RE4 I have to learn to do better distance shooting, and maybe
learn to maim the not-zombies better, slowing them down to let me finish them
properly.

--
Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
The Rhythm has control.
Ray Blaak The Rhythm is inside me,
rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net The Rhythm has my soul.

remingtonmaner_51

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

is the best game from resident evil series cuz have cheats,good weapons,you can upgrade the weapons,no-zombies and the best mercenaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS