Why is my CPU @ 84C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr0stman

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Hey guys...

I was just using HandBrake to encode a DVD Disc to MKV file... I used handbrake because its a proper encoding software...uses up about 99% of the CPU etc... I have an i5 2500K (stock, no overclocking done whatsoever)

anyway....i started getting warnings on my Motherboard (ASUS P8P67A) that my CPU temps are beyond 75C... i left it and it climbed to 83C gradually until the disc was encoded.... i thought 83C is *** especially with a good Antec DarkFleet Case with 4 FANS

I removed the HEatsink, wiped all the paste away and re-applied a different thermal paste, this colour is gold colour paste.
re-seated the heatsink and encoded another movie, same ***... 84C....is this normal??

CPU.jpg

Here are some data from ASUS own MoBo Suite + Sensor:

VCore: 1.52
+12V: 12.096
+5V: 5120V
+3.3V: 3.392
CPU: 84C
MoBo: 32C

from memory the ASUS P8P67 MoBo's are very customisable, i.e change vcores, performance management, cpu power, etc - ive left it all on auto, because i know the above voltages are auto adjusted based on load

Solution
1.52v vcore is way too high, especially since you don't even have an overclock. You should set the vcore manually in your BIOS to prevent this. 1.25v should be rock solid at stock speeds on a i5-2500k.

psp09

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I got similar issues with another encoding software few months ago, i get an Asus X58 P6T Deluxe V2 and an Intel Core i7 920 (a little old right now hehe) and Windows 7 x64. The thing is i just changed the software for encode the video, and solve this situation in this way.
Maybe is an software bug, that require a lot of resources for get done the task at full speed but for me get thats temperature is not normal, especially with the cooling system that you have.

Try with another similar application an let us know your results.

Wow, 1.52 in the Vcore, sounds like your computer is doing an automatic overclocking, could you check the processor clock when it is encoding.
I know based on my Asus MoBo, they have some applications for check that, also one application for set different working profiles to the CPU, maybe changing this parameter from "Auto" to "High Performance" (or something like that) and try to encode again.

Check the temperature and the clock speed during the process.

fr0stman

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
hmm ok... but then i used ConvertXtoDVD running 2 simultaneous conversions, and it did that too...

funny thing..when i first got this system, 3 months ago, i ran 3 simultaneos conversions and it didnt do that...and absolutely nothing has changed since then..someone said the Vcore was too high, but this is auto set with ASUS own MoBo Suite installed?

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
1.52v vcore is way too high, especially since you don't even have an overclock. You should set the vcore manually in your BIOS to prevent this. 1.25v should be rock solid at stock speeds on a i5-2500k.

Solution

psp09

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

In my case you need run a calibration first, before run the application suite for first time (once installed). When you already ran the calibration, you are able to select different profiles and your computer will apply that immediately. And yes this auto profile comes by default.

But as you describe the problem is very strange for me.

Maybe another tom's user can help you.
I dont think i get an answer for your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.