Sign in with
Your question

Please suggest an ASUS motherboard for core i5 2400

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2012 5:52:09 PM

Please suggest an ASUS motherboard for core i5 2400. Games and overclocking not main requirement
a c 206 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 12, 2012 6:32:43 PM

What part of the world are you purchasing in?

Are you looking for a full size ATX or micro-ATX form factor motherboard?

ASUS P8H77-M/CSM

I know it's available in North America but not in other parts of the world.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It seems to be sold as the P8H77-M outside of North America.
August 12, 2012 10:09:10 PM

ko888 said:
What part of the world are you purchasing in?

Are you looking for a full size ATX or micro-ATX form factor motherboard?

ASUS P8H77-M/CSM

I know it's available in North America but not in other parts of the world.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It seems to be sold as the P8H77-M outside of North America.

-----------------------------

I don't know about the terms "full size ATX or micro-ATX form factor motherboard"
I live in Brazil but am buying from online USA sites because I have a friend who lives in New Mexico and is coming to visit me next month.
Related resources
a c 206 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 13, 2012 12:13:30 AM

altermsg said:
-----------------------------

I don't know about the terms "full size ATX or micro-ATX form factor motherboard"
I live in Brazil but am buying from online USA sites because I have a friend who lives in New Mexico and is coming to visit me next month.

A micro ATX motherboard has a maximum of four PCI Express and/or PCI expansion slots. The micro ATX Form Factor motherboard dimensions are 9.6 inches x 9.6 inches ( 24.5 cm x 24.5 cm ).

A full size ATX motherboard has a maximum of seven PCI Express and/or PCI expansion slots. The full size ATX Form Factor motherboard dimensions are 12 inches x 9.6 inches ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm ).

The computer case that you will be using will determine which motherboard ATX form factor you may use.

A computer case that is able to fit a full size ATX form factor motherboard will also handle the smaller micro ATX form factor motherboard,

A computer case that is only able to fit a micro ATX form factor motherboard will obviously be unable to fit a full size ATX motherboard.

If you look at the back of your computer case and it only has four expansion slot plate covers then the case can only handle micro ATX form factor motherboards.

The following case can handle both full size ATX and Micro-ATX form factor motherboards (has seven Expansion Slots in the lower left of the image):
August 13, 2012 11:34:16 PM

Thank you for you explanations! I checked my case and it has seven slots.
I also checked ASUS P8H77-M/CSM, your suggestion for motherboard.
I am not knowledgeable on hardware and am going nuts with building a new pc. Other guys here mentioned P8H77-V and P8H77 V-LE. What is your opinion, considering that I'm not interested in gaming? May I say that I appreciate your help! Thanks again! :) 
a c 206 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 14, 2012 12:47:48 AM

altermsg said:
Thank you for you explanations! I checked my case and it has seven slots.
I also checked ASUS P8H77-M/CSM, your suggestion for motherboard.
I am not knowledgeable on hardware and am going nuts with building a new pc. Other guys here mentioned P8H77-V and P8H77 V-LE. What is your opinion, considering that I'm not interested in gaming? May I say that I appreciate your help! Thanks again! :) 

The ASUS P8H77-V LE and ASUS P8H77-V are full size ATX motherboards.

Are you going to be using more than one PCI expansion card?

If the answer is yes then you should get either the ASUS P8H77-V LE or ASUS P8H77-V.

If the answer is no then there is no point in paying for extra motherboard PCI expansion slots that you're never going to use so the ASUS P8H77-M/CSM is a good choice and saves you some money.
August 14, 2012 2:43:09 AM

You're right. Right now I'm using only 2 slots, so there's no need for extra ones. Therefore, I might as well buy ASUS P8H77-M/CSM. Here is what I'm planning:

* Processor => Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost)
* Motherboard => P8H77-M/CSM
* Power Supply => Corsair HX650W
As for Memory, what would be your advice? Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 OR CML8GX3M2A1866C9R?
As a whole, are these items compatible?
I'll finally place my order after your reply.... and THANKS for your help!!!
a c 206 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 14, 2012 3:53:23 AM

altermsg said:
You're right. Right now I'm using only 2 slots, so there's no need for extra ones. Therefore, I might as well buy ASUS P8H77-M/CSM. Here is what I'm planning:

* Processor => Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost)
* Motherboard => P8H77-M/CSM
* Power Supply => Corsair HX650W
As for Memory, what would be your advice? Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 OR CML8GX3M2A1866C9R?
As a whole, are these items compatible?
I'll finally place my order after your reply.... and THANKS for your help!!!

For memory modules the Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 should work just fine.

The slightly higher speed of the Corsair CML8GX3M2A1866C9R isn't going to give you any real world noticeable performance increase unless you like running benchmarks and are willing to spend the extra money (~ $16 more).

All of the components you've mentioned should be compatible, as long as you don't receive any defective parts, they should all work together.

If you want to run the memory modules at DDR3 1600 speed or DDR3 1866 speed, depending on which memory modules you purchase, you will most likely have to go into the UEFI BIOS setup and manually increase the memory clock speed from the default DDR3 1333.
!