i have a dell inspiron 530 vista
Intel(r) core(tm)2 quad cpu Q8200 @2.33GHz
4 GB ram
64-bit operating system
MB is OFM586 version 1.0.15
graphics interface PCI-Express
GPU ATI Radeon HD 3650 256MBytes 128 Bits
I'm a gamer and my problem is well i think it is my video card over heats
should i just up grade it if so to what or is there a really good way to cool it down ether way i would like to get your in-site on this problem ty

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
What is happening? Are games crashing? Is your computer shutting down? Blue Screen of Death?

You can always try to find some space on your case to add on a case-fan (I did this with an XPS 420 and it lowered case temps by a fair amount). Make sure that's your problem before you jump through hoops to solve it.

There's a program available to download for free called "MSI Afterburner" that you can use to monitor your gpu temps in real time. Run it while playing some games to see if it's running warm.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
You're posing questions without providing enough information on which to provide a clear answer.

Do you think it overheats or does it actually overheat? Can you explain the symptoms of your system's problem?

You suspect it may be overheating, but have you actually monitored the card's temperature when the problem occurs? You can do that with a program called GPU-Z: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

If it is overheating, it may be full of dust and just need a good cleaning, or the fan on it may have failed. Have you actually inspected the card? When's the last time you cleaned the interior of the PC? All you need is a screwdriver to open the case to inspect it, and a $5 can of compressed air, which is readily available at Wal-Mart, Target, and many other retailers to clean it.

Is the card simply under-performing in a new game? Well, considering it's age and limited memory, that wouldn't shock me, especially if playing a newer 3D title.

If there's anything more you can add, it would help us figure out if your old card's the problem, and if it's worth attempting to salvage. If it is salvageable, we'll help you through that. If it's not, we can recommend replacements based on your budget, power requirements, games, performance preferences, and your screen resolution.

should i just up grade it if so to what or is there a really good way to cool it down ether way i would like to get your in-site on this problem ty

Ever heard of punctuation? It really makes it easier to read and understand when you use periods, comma's and question marks.

Oh by the way UPGRADE is one word. INSITE is not in-site. Ether is a flammable liquid, I believe the word your looking for is EITHER.

I'm amazed at the Grammar skills of today's youth. What do they teach these kids in school??

Really? Care to share what your having trouble deciphering in my reply?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I had no trouble deciphering your reply, just as you had no trouble deciphering the OP's, despite his shortcomings in written English. Yet, you found it necessary to criticize his grammar and spelling, or technically his lack of both. You also went on to assume the cause: poor education of today's youth, thus also assuming the OP's age.

Now if you were to carefully proofread your own reply, I believe you could find your own grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes. Hence my "throwing stones" comment, which is a direct reference to the saying, "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." If that phrase's meaning escapes you, look it up.

While I'm no moderator, I am well aware this is not the place for such nonsense. You contributed nothing to the OP's questions and concerns, and instead only criticized his English. With your own found wanting, I thought you could use a dose of introspection.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
As for impressions, my only impression of you is, well... I don't have anything nice to say, so I'll stop myself.

As for your contribution to this thread, it's still lacking. Again. As is your grammar. Again.

Oh my! Did the OP miss one letter in a word in his topic title? The humanity! (Yes, that's sarcasm.)

You think he should have re-post with corrections? I don't. Two members found the OP easy enough to understand to offer advice about his actual computer problem, but you didn't?

Since you seem to have missed my point entirely, I'll try explaining it simply.

You didn't offer anything except criticism of the OP's grammar, while at the same time making similar mistakes to those you were telling the OP to correct. It seemed as if you felt it your duty to become THG's Grammar Police, but were more like some kind of false prophet. It's my feeling that if you can't correct someone without making your own list of similar mistakes, then you are firmly in no position to be criticizing and correcting someone else for their mistakes. And if you have nothing to offer in an attempt to actually assist someone with their PC problem, then you have no reason to post at all.

Maybe a mod can beat those points into your brain until you gain a better sense of appropriate posting behavior here.

I suppose you're (see what I did there?) welcome for the entertainment I provided, but the irony in your posts is the real entertainment.

tecmo34

Administrator
@OP... Please re-post your question, if you still need help with your issue. I would recommend taking into account some of the recommendations in this thread about providing some more detailed information on the issue you are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.