GTX 590 poor performance... come on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just bought my new $2600 computer, with a gtx 590, and am getting poor performance (as far as i'm concerned) with Just cause 2.
I use the NVidia "recommended" settings in the game for the gtx 590, and my frame rate is on average in the 50s, but on flower patches and grass, my frame rate drops to around 28-31, if not even lower... what the hell? according to benchmarks, and the "optimize your game" section in the nvidia website, the frame rate should average out to about 67... That is definetely NOT the case for my video card.

My system specs are:
Intel core i7 2600k overclocked to 3.8ghz (liquid cooled)
Asus Nvidia geforce GTX 590 (stock clock speed)
8gb of G.Skill Ripjaws RAM.

I'm extremely frustrated that my frame rate drops to so low in this game... What could the problem be? or is this frame rate normal?

EDIT:
I'm playing at my monitors native resolution - 1920x1200, fullscreen.
Some other settings:
Vsync off
AA set to 4x
Anisotropic filtering set to 16x
GPU water enabled

I have the latest drivers for my video card and my MOTHERBOARD is an asROCK p67 Extreme4.

Solution
I know exactly what you are talking about.The problem is because of 2 reasons.You may have vsync enabled and you may have put shadows on high.Disable vsync and put shadows quality on medium.There is a weird bug in the game due to which when high shadows are enabled the game lags when there is a lot of grass or flowers on the screen.Also vsync in the game does not have triple buffering due to which when your cards frame rate dips even 1fps below 60 the game will cap your fps to 30.So disable vsync and put shadows on medium and that will solve your problem.The same problem happened on my gtx 275

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
If you're using a monitor that's 60Hz and the framerate is at 60 for a fair amount of the time, it's not unrealistic to see framerates in the 50's a fair amount of the time.

The 28-31 stuff is more odd- is this for significant periods of time or is it a quick slowdown followed by higher framerates?

That does seem low.

You should use some different games and benchmark utilities to see if those numbers make sense; find benchmarks online to compare your numbers to.

Sometimes you can get a low framerate because one of the settings like AA is cranked way up.

I assume that you have all the drivers for the:
- main motherboard chipset
- latest video card

G

Thanks guys, for all your kind responses :) much appreciated

I'm playing at my monitors native resolution - 1920x1200, fullscreen.
Some other settings:
Vsync off
AA set to 4x
Anisotropic filtering set to 16x
GPU water enabled

I have the latest drivers for my video card and my MOTHERBOARD is an asROCK p67 Extreme4.

photonboy, i'm not sure what you mean by "the latest motherboard chipset"- is that downloadable software? how do i check if i have the latest?

bystander, could you explain what you mean by "a screenshot of GPU-Z with both cores"?

thanks again everyone :)

Hopefully its a decent power supply. Then it is essential to be using the latest drivers off the Nvidia website. We are now up to the 275.33 WHQL version. Also be sure to check the individual settings in the Nvidia Control Panel for anything that may be causing the problem, maybe SLI isn't enabled or you are on multi-display performance mode, or something similar.

After looking at benchmarks, it seems just about everyone is running the full 8x AA/16x AF and getting over 60 fps, and as much as 110 fps. I did, however, see a couple where they maxed out Just Cause 2 at 45 and 47 fps, so it's all over the place.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I know exactly what you are talking about.The problem is because of 2 reasons.You may have vsync enabled and you may have put shadows on high.Disable vsync and put shadows quality on medium.There is a weird bug in the game due to which when high shadows are enabled the game lags when there is a lot of grass or flowers on the screen.Also vsync in the game does not have triple buffering due to which when your cards frame rate dips even 1fps below 60 the game will cap your fps to 30.So disable vsync and put shadows on medium and that will solve your problem.The same problem happened on my gtx 275

Solution

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Not if Vsync is off.

G

Celpas, i have no idea how you figured this out, but it solved my problem. I set shadows to medium and now i can turn everything up, even AA up to 16x, and get smooth gameplay all around :) Thanks for your help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.