Sign in with
Your question

USB 3.0 front panel ports. One works, other gives power, no USB

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2012 8:14:54 PM

So I have 2 USB 3.0 front panel ports. One works completely, the other supplies power (charges my phone) but doesn't actually allow anything to connect as USB (my phone UI doesn't even show as being connected to a USB port, even though it charges)

case: Corsair 500r
MoBo: Asus P8Z77-v pro

I've tried to install all the driver's from Asus' website.

Also in Device Manager under USB I currently have

Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub
Intel USB eXtensible Host Controller

*Both 3.0 ports on the back work fine.
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 9:46:54 PM

One thing to check is the pin outs on the USB headers on the board as compared to whats actually in the USB wires going to the front panel. What case do you have?
m
l
August 15, 2012 11:19:43 PM

Corsair 500r

I haven't actually checked the pin outs, I'll do it when I get home later tonight.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 12:02:33 PM

Rayhush said:
Corsair 500r

I haven't actually checked the pin outs, I'll do it when I get home later tonight.

Had the same problem, same case and motherboard

Try another device my 8gb thumb drive does not work in one of the ports, try uninstalling and reinstalling the usb 3 drivers. Which header are you connected to? : ASMedia or the Intel?

Intel is near the sata ports and the asmedia is near the HD Audio header
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:25:46 PM

timarp000 said:
Had the same problem, same case and motherboard

Try another device my 8gb thumb drive does not work in one of the ports, try uninstalling and reinstalling the usb 3 drivers. Which header are you connected to? : ASMedia or the Intel?

Intel is near the sata ports and the asmedia is near the HD Audio header

Thanks for letting me know what type of headers they were, I couldn't find it labeled in the MoBo user guide. However, I have tried both and I have the same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers numerous times with no luck. Also, it's not just my phone. My thumb drives, xbox controllers, and external drives don't recognize the 2nd front panel 3.0 port.

Right now it serves as a very convenient smart phone charger. I'm completely confused as to why it's functionality is so limited.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 3:21:20 PM

Rayhush said:
Thanks for letting me know what type of headers they were, I couldn't find it labeled in the MoBo user guide. However, I have tried both and I have the same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers numerous times with no luck. Also, it's not just my phone. My thumb drives, xbox controllers, and external drives don't recognize the 2nd front panel 3.0 port.

Right now it serves as a very convenient smart phone charger. I'm completely confused as to why it's functionality is so limited.

Which one works? The one on the left or right?
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:18:49 PM

Facing the computer the one on the left works completely, while the one on the right supplies power. All 4 3.0 ports on the back work, and both 2.0.

I currently have it connected to the ASMedia header, however I'll probably be moving it to the Intel header where I originally had it.
m
l
September 3, 2012 4:36:49 PM

I have a similar problem with my IBM R52 laptop. The top USB port works fine, while the bottom port runs a USB hard drive and headset charger but not a thumb drive, keyboard, or mouse.

USB controllers listed in the device manager are:

Universal Host Controllers 2658, 2659, 265A, 265B
Enhanced Host Controller 265C
and five USB Root Hubs

Thats ten controllers/hubs for two ports. I think the drivers are all current. How can I repair the bottom port? (I did shut down the machine, unplug the battery, unplug the power, let it sit, restarted with nothing plugged into USB ports; didn't work)

I often use a hub with keyboard, mouse, and printer in the bottom and usb dongle in the top port, but I don't have the hub and all the same devices with me for a week or so.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 7:48:13 PM

Hello,

There are still a lot of assumptions that need defining. Do you have an ASUS USB 3.0 2 port adapter that is installed in one of the 3 1/2" front slots in your case?

I think you mean it is connected to the larger 19 pin USB 3.0 header near the 24 pin power connector. If so, there are two separate ports assigned to this USB 3.0 MB header, which is a PCH intel USB 3.0 device.

Unplug the19 pin connector and check to make sure one of the 19 pins is not bent. Then if you have or can get a USB 3.0 MB 19 pin to two 10 pin USB 3.0 adapter, you can plug it into the 19 pin adapter and try a USB flash drive (2.0 or 3.0 - it doesn't matter) on each side, and see if it is a problem with the ASUS front panel module, or actually in the MB itself. They sell for about $8 on amazon.

Also in the BIOS, check under the USB configuration, and make sure the Legacy USB Support is Enabled, and the Legacy USB 3.0 support is Enabled.
If the first is Disabled, it is used only for BIOS setup.

m
l
!