Phenom II X4 980 vs Phenom II X6 1100T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
The question says it all. I am going to build a new AMD system and I honestly don't want to overclock, so the question is do I take the quad core with the 3.7 clock speed or the hexa-core with 3.3? All I do is gaming really, the plan is to build an eyefinity system with piledriver potential. If the game doesn't support eyefinity (or I don't want it up) I will probably have netflix on while gaming. Steam is always open, teamspeak is always open, other tabs are usually open, etc.

Am I losing out without the extra cores from Thuban? :)

Solution
Actually the per core "Deneb" beats the per core performance "Thuban" in most cases, if You're going to be gaming only then the 980 is your best choice, if you're going to use multithreaded applications such as Adobe CS5/6 then the 1100T is the sweet pick.

And by the way, the 980/975BE those CPUs particuallry perform great in gaming compared to the i5 2500K in gaming. look at the following, no difference between the i5 2500K and the 980BE in 1080P gaming.
Gaming_02.png

Gaming_04.png
Missing out? No, I don't think so. I wouldn't get either, with the unlocked multiplier on the X4 955 you could easily OC to 3.7Ghz.
Same thing with the 1100T, why pay extra when you can have the same thing for cheaper with the 1090T?
If you really want to buy an AM3 CPU, then especially for gaming I wouldn't buy anything more expensive than the X4 955.

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gaming-performance,3007-5.htm

According to the Tom's hardware chart the 980 is a tier above the 1100t and it is just 169.99...I too actually have a 955 BE, but my parents computer is over 5 years old and dying (mobo issues, sound, Ethernet, etc), so I was going to do an upgrade for myself with BD and give them my 955 system, but between the minor difference in performance and major difference in cost I am not satisfied with BD. Also the steam issue with bsods and bd worries me

Long story short, looks like the 170 980 is a real winner and a great stepping stone for PD next year. I actually am very satisfied with my 955 and wouldn't upgrade if it wasn't for my parents need and the excitement of a new build...2x6970 here I come!

Actually the per core "Deneb" beats the per core performance "Thuban" in most cases, if You're going to be gaming only then the 980 is your best choice, if you're going to use multithreaded applications such as Adobe CS5/6 then the 1100T is the sweet pick.

And by the way, the 980/975BE those CPUs particuallry perform great in gaming compared to the i5 2500K in gaming. look at the following, no difference between the i5 2500K and the 980BE in 1080P gaming.
Gaming_02.png

Gaming_04.png

Solution

andrewcarr

Distinguished
If you are using the computer for games go with the Phenom ll X4 at 3.7 GHz. The extra speed will help over the X6 even though it has two less cores. Since you don't plan on overclocking the 955 this would be the fastest option for games. If these processors aren't your only option consider the i5 even though it has a lower clock rate the performance per core is better so that it beats either phenom in terms of performance.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
""If the game doesn't support eyefinity (or I don't want it up) I will probably have netflix on while gaming. Steam is always open, teamspeak is always open, other tabs are usually open, etc.

Am I losing out without the extra cores from Thuban? ""

yes 4 cores gaming 2 extra working netflix steam etc

snakeat3r

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Well.. actually I would go for the Phenom II x2 555 BE ... cuz you can unlock the two dormant cores and actually get a x4 955. (that's my case) It overclocks to 3.9 with no problem (it can get even to 4.2 if you have good cooling solution) and it costs.. about 80 bucks or less

Status
Not open for further replies.