GTX 550 Ti 2560 x 1440 res problems

FUnkyWalker

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get some help to get the full resolution of my new monitor.

I just purchased a new dell u2711 monitor but when I hook it up to my computer at the native 2560 by 1440 res through the DVI port it's not clear at all. To the point where I couldn't even read text. I have a Galaxy GTX 550 Ti graphics card that say it supports up to 2560 by 1600. I hooked the monitor up to a computer I have at work the same way and it looks awesome! I couldn't tell you of the top of my head what that computer is running for graphics.

I was doing some research today and on the NVIDIA site it said:

"Dual-link DVI Support
Able to drive the industry’s largest and highest resolution flat-panel displays up to 2560x1600 and with support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). "

http://www.geforce.com/#/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-550ti/features

If it's saying what I think it does, I need to run 2 DVI cables to the monitor. Now the problem I have with that is my video card doesn't have 2 DVI ports. It has one DVI, one VGA and a HDMI port.

Right now I'm running the monitor using the VGA port. It's ok but I bought the Dell because I wanted the high resolution. Is there any way I can make this work at the native resolution?

I should also mention I'm running Windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks!!